"Peal-N-Seal" Phawkin A! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. So this is the third rig I have done this on. I went ahead and bought two more rolls at Lowes for 12.59 each. Then I decided to install it this afternoon instead of the coming weekend.

When you take off the panels you can see that Toyota used a TAR based spray to deaden sound. Emm... Yeah.. Doesnt work as most us pig owners know. I mean you shut anyone ofthe doors on my pig... or any other pig I have owned and you hear that metal ringing drum sound. Bare fricken metal. Now you will want to take that tar crap off because nothing it going to really stick to it. What I did as an experment (due to the fact I live in the College Dorms) is spray an adhesive on the tar then let it dry. Then I applied the PealnSeal.. Seemed to work ok... but Im not holding my breath. I will do it right when I have time.

So I applied a full spread on each of the rear quarter skins and some on the pillars. I went ahead and put on two layers over each 1/4 then reinstalled the rear quater panels. I pulled the door panels and cleaned the inside. I did the same thing here. Applied it over the entire door skin and then replaced the door panel. So after I did all four doors I tested it out.

Now when you close the doors instead of hearing that loud metal "BANG" all you hear is a dull thud. I can knock on the outside door skins and instead of having it resonating through out the pigs cabin it just gives a dull thud. Took the pig out for a drive. The city just laid down a nice fresh layer of gravel on the roads. But when I drove over the gravel this time it was much less noisy. For less then 40 bucks I have insulated all four doors and the rear 1/4 skins and I still have more then half a roll left. I applied between 2-3 layers in each area. It is diffenately worth it. People want to bitch about it being a roofing material... just remind them that Toyota used phawking tar to begin with. Plus Dymamat Xtreme is the same dam stuff this is except this isnt as thick as the Dymamat Xtreme. Its just a tad bit thinner. I have used both products on more then one rig. I can tell you I cant tell any difference between the Dynamat Xtreme or the Peal and Seal. Only difference is in the pocket book. I would have easily paided three to four times this amount just buying the same amount of dynamet xtreme. And the Phatmat/Fatmat/brownbread/etc are the same stuff. Minerals... yeah.... hey gravel is minerals... sand is minerals.... I wouldnt waste my money on anything else. This stuff is more then worth the money.

I just wanted to add that VW/Audi and some other c ar companies use compressed sand as a sound deadener. All these products really do anyway is load the metal so it doesnt transmit sound waves as well. It really doesnt block the sound. There are some products I have looked at that do block sound. One of them is made in the USA called Acoustablock http://www.acoustiblok.com/ . It's pretty expensive stuff.

What I intend to do is this. When I can do the job right I will open up the panels and blast off that tar crap and then fill it in with the Peel and Seal. Then cut some Reflectix to the proper size and aluminum tape it over the Peal and Seal. Then add another sheet right behind the inside of the area where the panels fit. So not to interfer with the panels as it has done on another project. I intend to do this on all four doors and the rear 1/4's.

What I hope to accomplish is this. Reduce exterior noise as well as heat during summer and help insulate us from the cold during winter. The floors will also get a layer of both. I might also peal back some of the headliner and stick a few places with the Peal and Seal and slide in a few sheets of Reflectix. Or I might just do that when I replace the headliner.

I want to keep my pig as stock looking as possible. Upgrades and Mods only as needed so it doesnt take away from the stock look. I do intend on trying to get two other pigs. One will be for trail rig. The one Im working on now is a family rig. I do take it out... but its not meant for anything heavy.

Well I hope that wasnt to terribly long. If you decide to take the same route let us know how things went.

Last edited:
Wow! You are a wealth of information!! Interesting stuff. First it was Reflectix, now Peal ans Seal. Is that a roofing cover? I go to Home depot at least 4-5 times a week and I never see that stuff you use. I will start looking now. Keep up the great write ups!

Thanks... I did a crap load of research, reading, etc.... Then I put out the money, time, sweat,etc.... This is like the third or fourth rig I have used the Peal and Seal on. The last rig I bought I went ahead and used the Dynamat Xtreme to see if maybe I would be able to tell a difference. I got a decent deal so went ahead and compared... sounded exactly the same to me. I wish I had a Db meter to tell the difference. I also used both in two seperate bass boxes... they sounded the same... I cant see paying extra for anything. And I cant see anyone else paying either. I just hope it works for others too. I have only seen this at Home Depot one time. They dont carry it at any of the Home Depots now in my area. I can get it at Lowes anytime.
I hope this link works. This is the 6"x25' roll I have been buying... Its got the price on their too. There are different widths and lengths as well but you might have to special order it.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=154017-81326-PS625&lpage=none

Last edited:
Well, should have known. The stuff isn't sold in kalifornia!! I wonder if it can be sold over the internet?

cardinal fang said:
Well, should have known. The stuff isn't sold in kalifornia!! I wonder if it can be sold over the internet?
not available in colorado either apparently,..
Product Not Available
"We're sorry. This item is no longer available.
To continue shopping you may:'

It is sold in Mississippi......so I know what i will be using for sound insulation.

A friend recently used something similar - a no name product that he picked up at a roofing supply store. Worked great. Try looking at a local supply store, they may have something generic.

We are going to be moving to Cheyenne Wy. next month. I could bring a few rolls for those that are interested. It would be the cost of the roll plus idaho tax. I think you can order it over the interenet.

don't worry about home depot, just go to a local roofing supply, they should have several choices and sizes from 4" wide to 36"!!

so what is it?
sorry, but after all that it still wasn't quite clear to me what Peal n Seal is.
I'm sure it's a product available worldwide, it's just i haven't heard of it, or it goes by a different name in australia.
is it that re-inforced silver foil stuff with one side painted blue, that's used for insulation in sheds/homes?
cheers,
Dan.

It is a roofing material to cover seams. It is asphalt product with aluminum foil on one side and the asphalt material on the other (I think). It is used by a lot audio buffs to deaden sound and prevent road noise. Not very expensive.
Anyway, that is what I got off the net. Apprantly, it is not sold here in California at the big hardware stores. I am still looking for it.

Nice thing is I've already put in about 40 square feet and its been over 100 degrees everyday and there is zero smell. Ive handled Dynamat, Dynamat Xtreme, and the Seal&Peal and I cant tell any different between the Dynamat Xtreme and the Seal&Peal except the Dynamat Xtreme was just a tad bit thicker. Maybe like 20% or so thicker. Doesnt really matter as this stuff is so inexpensive you just throw down another layer. It works exactly the same. Road noise has been cut down considerably and I havent even gotten to the inside/outside firewall or the tansmission hump. Oh it is also a hell of a lot easier to install then Dynamat Xtreme and sticks to anything so be carefull as it isnt as forgiving as the dynamat was. Just for reference I have down three vehicles with Dynamat Xtreme with about 100sqft each.

Jus wundering...

How does it react being used on floor with the heat off the exhaust? I see that it is your plan to put it there also.

Not to hijack..

Thinkn about making a heat shield out of sheet metal to mount to underneath floor before getting exhaust ran. That should keep most of the heat out, correct?

Chuck

I thought about the heat coming from the exhaust . I am going to use the P&S anyway over the factory installation and then use a layer of the Reflectix. On the rear 1/4's I think it would act as an insulating curtain. I already own the Reflectix so it's no biggie to just go ahead and hang it in the rear 1/4 panel voids. I want to do the same thing in all four doors too.

For me Im mainly using both products for sound insulation rather then for temperature. But it would be nice if it gave us a bit more protection against the elements.

One thing I forgot to mentioned was the noise reduction we all noticed after I did the rear wheel wells. Was running studded mudd tires and after we out three layers down it had taken out a ton of noise. So I will be adding the P&S on the wheel wells too.

Great idea about the peel & seal. I will try it on my Runner to quiet things down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom