PCV Vacuum hose '87 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

Some of you awesome people have already helped me a ton with getting Babe back on the road. As some of you read I got her home last weekend from the shop and definitely have some work to do including a mystery fuel leak coming from around the new pick up unit. But that's not why I'm posting today.

So to give some back story to this one. New HEI dizzy, new Weber 38, full desmog. New spark plugs, wires, heat riser kit, etc. After hooking up the dizzy on Sunday (finally thanks to some good o-ring advice on here) I got her started up but the timing was Horrible, wouldn't stay running etc. Quickly realized I was off a tooth on the dizzy so got it set back up and started ok. I was getting a rough idle but advanced the timing by 12* with plugs gapped at .055 and she purred like a kitten at 640 RPM's.

At that point I noticed I had knocked the vacuum hose coming off the "T" in the PCV valve off the HIC valve under the air cleaner. So I plugged er back in. And the engine promptly died... So long story short after fiddling around a bit and being very anxious to get it tested out on the road I ended up plugging that hose in to the vacuum fitting on the top of the air cleaner (I think where the old VCV for dizzy vent connected) which created zero resistance in that vacuum line and the engine ran fine.

I got her home and in the garage (at almost 9000') and the next day she started right up. Tested the vacuum hose again by plugging the end with my finger and same result. The only thing I noticed driving home was that she seemed to bog down about mid RPM's in 4th gear but that could be the 33's I'm running. I also haven't tested vacuum just yet but that's on the short list.

Any thought's on this problem or possibly lack there of?

P.S. I also kept the EVAP lines running from BVSV 1 (b) to EVAP VCV to Air Cleaner port, to EVAP Canister Purge Port, capped the port that was supposed to go to Carb Insulator (weber 38 doesn't have on??)

Those are the only Vac lines I have in the engine bay now, looks sweet but makes me a bit nervous I forgot something :)

That's a pretty big vacuum leak when that hose is loose. Probably the reason for the rough idle before you advanced the timing. Have you tried taking the advance back to the bb and putting the hose back on the t and HIC? That and if you adjusted idle mix with the hose loose, that would need to be adjusted again.

That's a big gap for the plugs if you're running a stock coil, puts extra strain for voltage requirements...even if you're running a souped up coil I don't think you will see much benefit until high RPMs...like over 5000. Disclaimer, I think the tractor motor might start shooting rods through the engine bay at those RPMs :)

Last edited:
Hey Mweb. I will check that out tonight, thanks for the advice! Not sure why I didn't view that as a big vacuum leak but it's obvious now. Guess I wasn't seeing the forest cause of the trees, or something like that :). The odd thing is that with the Weber I can't seem to change the idle speed all that much. With the screw turned fully each way the idle speed only changes by 40 rpm's tops. I didn't mess with the idle mix yet as it seemed to be running ok but I do notice a pretty good gas smell in the engine bay. I assume the idle mix is too rich?

I'm running an HEI dizzy and that's what the instructions recommended me to put the gap at. I was thinking of backing off the gap some to see how that affected things. It seemed big to me too but with my limited knowledge I do what I'm told lol.

I imagine you will have much better idle speed adjustment with the vacuum leak gone. That could be part of the reason it dies. I would adjust the idle speed with engine off first, loosen screw until there is a gap between screw and throttle plate linkage, tighten screw until it just touches linkage, then another little bit so it opens the throttle plate a crack. Good luck and good to see you guys finally got some snow out that way.

Hey Mweb. Thanks for the advice! I got Babe all tuned up and ready to go! Backed off the spacing on the plugs and adjusted idle like you recommended. Played around on the timing and idle mix all weekend and she is purring. Idled at 640 rpms gaps on new ngk plugs set at .035, pcv valve plugged in right and seems good to go. Haven't gotten her on the highway yet but gonna give that a go tomorrow.

Super stoked, after 8 weeks of waiting my expedition 4+ bumper is FINALLY coming in from MAF tomorrow!!

Btw, being the idiot that I am I was adjusting the idle mix screw and not the idle speed screw so no wonder I couldn't get the idle to adjust lol.

Learning as I go up here! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom