PCV LOL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85x

Threads
I have a 97 with 250k and the PCV was looking a little tired so I decided to replace it. Like most have mentioned it was snug and took some encouragement to come out of the valve cover. When I got it out it was all in once piece suggesting it may have been replaced at some point. It was pretty gunky and the action inside was sluggish. What made me LOL was that within the cage beneath there was an entire intact grommet that had been pushed in and left behind at some point. Can't imagine it was doing the engine any favors. Upon restart the idle was definitely smoother and the "blue puff" at start was gone. Super satisfying bit of PM with a side of WTF as we commonly see in these trucks.

Hope this inspires someone to take the 30 mins to swap this little guy out.
IMG_6863.jpg

I have a 97 with 250k and the PCV was looking a little tired so I decided to replace it. Like most have mentioned it was snug and took some encouragement to come out of the valve cover. When I got it out it was all in once piece suggesting it may have been replaced at some point. It was pretty gunky and the action inside was sluggish. What made me LOL was that within the cage beneath there was an entire intact grommet that had been pushed in and left behind at some point. Can't imagine it was doing the engine any favors. Upon restart the idle was definitely smoother and the "blue puff" at start was gone. Super satisfying bit of PM with a side of WTF as we commonly see in these trucks.

Hope this inspires someone to take the 30 mins to swap this little guy out.
View attachment 3352939
Yeah, that's the bottom half of your grommet. It looks like it sheared off as you yanked it out.....

Right on thats an astute observation. Makes sense and helps me feel a little better- appreciate it.

Same happened to me (bottom
of aging grommet snapped off onto the valve cover) two days ago. I was anticipating it so wasn't too upset. Luckily I was able to fish it out with a curved pick, tweezers and needle nose pliers. Kind of par for the course when these things aren't meticulously maintained by an enthusiast.

Food for thought. If the PCV grommet is that dry and brittle, it is probably the same for your spark plug donut seals and valve cover gasket. Probably a good time to remove and replace those as well.

Food for thought. If the PCV grommet is that dry and brittle, it is probably the same for your spark plug donut seals and valve cover gasket. Probably a good time to remove and replace those as well.
Appreciate this ^ thanks for the idea I'll take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom