PCV Hose cracked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to get on the road and will be driving for over 6 hours, noticed when looking under the hood today (and silently gloating that my dizzy o-ring fix had stopped all the oil leaking) that my PCV hose is cracked.

56edda7a.jpg

I did a search for PCV hose but came back with so many unrelated hits that I'm a little turned around. Is this crack something that should keep me from driving the truck? If I decide to fix it before I hit the road, will NAPA likely stock this part (or Toyota), or is this a special order item? Is this the No. 1 or No. 2 hose? Thanks for any help you can offer.

If the crack produces a vacuum leak then you will be unable to hold idle. Napa will not have the exact part but a correct diameter hose will suit better than what you have. I wouldn't think that the crack you have there is anything new but if it gets bad enough it could leave you stranded. Nothing you couldn't temp fix with a few well placed wraps of electrical tape. Order the right hose from your local toyota dealer and carry a supplemental hose from napa and roll of electrical tape until you get the right hose. Might as well do the valve and the grommet while your at it.

Thanks, kinda what I was thinking. It hasn't messed me up so far, but I haven't pushed it for more than an hour at a time. Will just take it easy and see, I guess. Gonna see if I can find out what diameter that hose is.

Id replace the hose, grommet and check the valve. MIke

in a pinch some tape (after cleaning) would probably keep you moving.

you might want to be careful when wiggling the PCV or changing it's grommet though in case it's in as bad a shape as the hose.

To be fair, the hose that is damaged is on the nipple side or crankcase side and has no grommet. But the condition of the hose is a logical indicator of the condition of the rest of the system. I think the pcv system does the most work when the vehicle is cold, so the amount of time running will only help you in theory.

Is it reasonable to just use a blade and cut the hose to help get it off, or is that a big no-no? Also, when putting the new one in place, any type of lubricant/sealant used?

I'm about to get on the road and will be driving for over 6 hours, noticed when looking under the hood today (and silently gloating that my dizzy o-ring fix had stopped all the oil leaking) that my PCV hose is cracked.

56edda7a.jpg

I did a search for PCV hose but came back with so many unrelated hits that I'm a little turned around. Is this crack something that should keep me from driving the truck? If I decide to fix it before I hit the road, will NAPA likely stock this part (or Toyota), or is this a special order item? Is this the No. 1 or No. 2 hose? Thanks for any help you can offer.

FWIW....The hose pictured is not the PCV hose. The pvc in the lower right corner of you shot..

All other comments apply anyway.. I am replacing both hoses and I am looking to add an oil separator on the PVC hose.. quick search and you will find the thread.

I don't know jack squat about any of this, so I could be wrong on the name. I got the hose name out of the FSM, Page EG-27 (Engine Mechanical). The instructions outline this hose and say to "Remove No. 2 PCV Hose." I think there are actually 2 hoses called PCV hose, the one in the center of my pic, and the smaller one to the drivers side (or to your right in the pic), which is the No. 1 PCV hose. If I'm wrong, please tell me the official name of it, as I'm about to order one for mine.

you are right. not super complicated. I would replace them both, cheap and easy.

well, PCV stands probably for Positive Crankcase Venting or something like that, so the valve should probably be more properly called PCV valve than just PCV as many folks do. And the hoses could both be called PCV hoses.
What I was referring to was the PCV valve on the cover where the other hose is attached. That one has a grommet that if old can easily crumble with pieces falling onto the head, which should preferably be avoided.
you can't go wrong by using the official Toyota labelling.

Y'all are worrying me with this grommet bidness. Can you point me in a direction where I can see a cross section of the setup, or some pics that will inform a poor sinner on what he's about to totally screw up?

Also, how complicated is it to add an oil catch? Seeing the other thread on that makes me begin to ponder the possibilities.

Just called and ordered from the local Mr. T, looks like it'll cost me around $40 for both hoses, clips, and the grommet (which he tried to talk me out of ordering). Guess that beats a tow from Egypt, right?

I was under the impression that there was a kind of catch screen or something under the PCV valve to keep stuff from falling into the valves and to prefilter the stuff that runs through the valve itself? I will look to confirm this.

Haha, yea that was me..
My propper parts have just arrived, will pick em' up tomorrow.
$100 for both hoses, grommet and the valve. . But thats Toyota Australia.

I was under the impression that there was a kind of catch screen or something under the PCV valve to keep stuff from falling into the valves and to prefilter the stuff that runs through the valve itself? I will look to confirm this.

there is, but it'll only catch larger chunks.

Just replace the hose with any heater hose or the like from napa. The hose doesn't experience any special conditions, temperatures, or anything; nor is it large enough, or curvy enough, to need to be pre-formed.
Or am I missing something?

Nup, you're not missing anything.
I wish I'd never ordered the proper hose from Toyota and spent a million bucks on it because the temporary hose is doing just fine! But, I want to know if the screw clamps I also bought are o.k to use with this hose? Because the crappy oem spring clamps were shot, but I was thinking that it's possible they use these incase of a valve failure? Or something.

Nup, you're not missing anything.
I wish I'd never ordered the proper hose from Toyota and spent a million bucks on it because the temporary hose is doing just fine! But, I want to know if the screw clamps I also bought are o.k to use with this hose? Because the crappy oem spring clamps were shot, but I was thinking that it's possible they use these incase of a valve failure? Or something.

as long as they're good worm-drive clamps, you should be fine.

The valve is obviously an easily accessible part, so it's no issue to re-tighten it occasionally too.

Just called and ordered from the local Mr. T, looks like it'll cost me around $40 for both hoses, clips, and the grommet (which he tried to talk me out of ordering). Guess that beats a tow from Egypt, right?

Did you buy the pcv valve as well? Good time to replace it, plus its cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom