PB Blaster on spring/shackle bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Catching Neutral

GOLD Star
Threads
Hey guys,
I began spraying PB Blaster on the spring/shackle bolts preparing to install new spring bushings this weekend.
The clunking that was present when turning has gotten worse. Sounds like to me a sure sign that the bushings are worn out. What do you think?
Has anyone else ever experienced this?

You may have loosened up something that was already half dead - I would just proceed with the tear down and bushing replacement.

Yea loud cracking/clunking when turning- it went away when I replaced the perished rubbers.

Of course they are worn out. Once you start, it will be obvious.
A photo Of the bushings I removed. I expected much worse. Do they look worn out? Maybe just softer than the new bushings. 🤷🏼.
F616AC69-D336-4846-8F40-9A4949E78FAE.jpeg

Those don't look too bad. Maybe a little oval on some of the holes. Has the clunk gone away?
Some of the clunking went away. Primarily from the front end. I think its better. I tested by driving about 15 mph in a slalom pattern. The clunking when turning R/L definitely went away. Guess I’ll know more when I replace the rear spring bushings. Still lots of noises coming from the back end.

Those bushings are a little worn, but still in decent shape. I doubt they are the source of your clunk.

Agree that they don't look that bad from here. I guess you will see how much improvement there is with the new ones.

There are so many noises from under my rig I may never know. Maybe it’s time to upgrade the stereo.
As always I appreciate the input.

Last edited:
Try tightening your u-bolts for your leaf springs. This gets even worse if you have aluminum castor correction shims. The aluminum continually compresses and your u-bolts never stay tight.

Also check for play in your steering steering arms, links and tie rod ends, wheel bearings and knuckle bearings.

Try tightening your u-bolts for your leaf springs. This gets even worse if you have aluminum castor correction shims. The aluminum continually compresses and your u-bolts never stay tight.

Also check for play in your steering steering arms, links and tie rod ends, wheel bearings and knuckle bearings.
Great suggestions.. I will snap a photo of my shims and post it when I get home today. The lift kit came from CCOT and my shims look like the ones on their website. It does not say if they are aluminum. I will investigate.

Here is a photo from CCOT website. I bet they are aluminum.
34ACC577-C4B8-478A-B0ED-F6EBF01E8B68.png

Confirmed with CCoT....the shims are aluminum....looks like I’ll be ordering some steel from Valley Hybrids.
This is going to snowball into u-bolt flip kits and shocks....

@snaggletto ...thank you again.. tightened U-bolts. Front and rear were loose. I was surprised at just how many turns I was able to get in a couple of the nuts. Drove it. And tightened again.
The really loud clunk from the rear end is gone. Makes me happy. I was able to find in PO paperwork that he ordered 6 degree shims from CCOT with the lift kit back in 2010. Steel shims from Vally Hybrids are on the way to replace aluminum ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom