Payload of Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much weight would you feel is max for this rack? Click on the link in my sig to see. The weak spot would be the rain rails. How much you feel would be safe for a hwy trip? How about 2 thick plywood sheets for the family to lay on while at the drive in? Yup we still have one of those in Enderby BC :popcorn:

Look at my rack in my sig line. Now, mine is steel and 4 legs per side. I've had about 600lbs on mine going from the lower mainland to the interior, no issues. I've had that rack on a 60 (I've owned two) for the past 8 years now. No issues.

I would think you'll be fine at the drive in. The other thing is the load is not over the leg individually. It is distributed to all 4 legs via the rails of the rack.

Yes thanks for the reassurance. I just didn't know how strong that edge the rack bolts onto. I remember one person ran a small piece of angle iron between the legs and a bit to distribute the weight, mind you this was an older Jetta and not a TLC. I did make me think though. :beer:

I thought 150kgs or about 300 of your thingys is about max. I agree with the other posters about spreading the load across all the legs.

One of the issues with roof racks on the 60 is that it can crack or gouge out the putty sealing the lid, letting water in and starting the slow decay of death. Best IMHO to put some thin hose/rubber packing under the legs to protect the gutters as much as possible, and spread the load across all legs.

Tim

So I suppose 3 Llama's is to much eh? Some one should tell this guy.
Thanks for the info, I think I'll run a strip under them feet to even the load.
Llamas2.jpg

X2 on the vertical center of gravity issue.
60's are amazingly stable and with a properly supported roof rack (lots of legs to spread the load) will carry a huge load statically, however be really aware of what a side hill or highway speeds (cornering or avoidance maneuvers) can do to you with too much weight on the roof.... Ouch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom