pauls opine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy it and wheel the balls off of it!

It's so easy to spend other people's money (and fun!)

$700 to me & you'd have another $1550 leftover to put into your new-to-you '80 minitruck that you can wheel the balls off of! :cheers:

(btw--it's goin on craigslist this week; let me know if you're seriously interested.)

Last edited:
I'd like to move this thing if anyone has interest. The drivetrain seems solid and the cruiser could be put on the road with minimal work.

This may be too big a question to easily answer, but what would it take to drop the entire drivetrain into ann FJ40? I'd love a 5-speed for highway purposes.

axels are to wide and the xfer case has no e-brake

This may be too big a question to easily answer, but what would it take to drop the entire drivetrain into ann FJ40? I'd love a 5-speed for highway purposes.

You won't miss the three on the tree?!

Secretly: i occasionally yearn for mine... of course only because I'm not at the time driving it and wishing for better driveability or gearing.

You could easily enough to get past the e-brake issue (or alternatively, axle issue) PJ mentioned... There are circular pinion flanges available for ~$30 that you could use to mate the '60 shaft to the '40 axle.

You'd hafta modify the '60 shafts anyway to get the lengths right, so you could also just have them match the original '40 pinion flange pattern (either way you end up w/ a non-stock driveshaft, but this way you have a stock diff/pinion).

Other than that it's not so hard, to my understanding. I put a '78 2f in my '70 (both were FJ40's tho, and i was getting d-shafts done anyway due to SOA).

We could start a list of things you'd hafta think of: anyone, please chime in. Off the top of my head...

- throttle linkage/cable matching
- tranny tunnel mods
- exhaust
- fuel return line (1970 didn't have)
- wiring/control (depending on how de-smogged you'll run)
- (possibly necessary?) custom rear xmember for support of longer tranny
- driveshafts (as mentioned)

HTH. -Ed '70FJ40

I like the 3otT except when I have to go faster than 45 mph. I plan on selling my twincharged Mini Cooper S and sinking at least some of the cash into the Cruiser with the goal being a light to medium capability off road vehicle that I could drive to, say, Harrisburg or Rausch Creek if I wanted to. That's why I'm tossing around this idea.

Thanks for any input.

If i happened to have money laying around that H55 would be totally sweet under Bruce....

But then I'm not sure I'm prepared in any shape or form to take on THAT project... but it's nice to dream...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom