Builds Patch's Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also....

Backlash: .0052"
Pinion preload: 8"-lbs

597B2F8A-7754-4FFF-A9B6-E71863DB538D.jpg

70ACEE20-C795-4FDB-B0DB-2F85FF2A454C.jpg
300023CB-CFA8-49C8-9CEC-EAE0EE687480.jpg

IMG_4613.jpeg

With the help of Mike Lepley, I was able to build my first locked diff.

I wanted to learn how to do this sometime but wanted to have a guiding hand (and some tools) the first time I did it just to be safe.

We removed the old carrier out of a 2-pinion diff I found in a local junkyard for $117

The truck it came out of had 299,000 miles on the dash but the diff was extremely clean inside and out. I doubt it had many more than 60K miles on it. Perhaps the old one blew? 🤷🏻

Once the carrier was out we pressed new carrier bearings onto the Eaton locker, and reusing the same factory shims, we installed the locker.

Found backlash: .006”
Final backlash: .0052”

Found preload: 4”lbs
Final preload: 8”lbs

We tried different combinations of smaller and larger shim pairs but ultimately wound up reusing the OEM shims to get it in spec.

I had just put fresh front diff bushings in mine so I harvested the front cover from mine and witnessed the damage taken to my diff in Colorado.

I blew up the spider gears but my ring and pinion look pretty good. Might try to reuse them 🤷🏻

FC3F2055-C27D-4FF0-AF87-8A2B7D09AAB5.jpeg

B4C3C7D6-47E6-424C-A629-EEE9AB2015F6.jpeg

Well to those of you who haven’t seen this yet,

I made a recap movie of our time out west in Colorado/Utah.

It’s an hour and a half with chapters from each trail. It’s worth a watch 👍🏼

Pretty fookin sweet film broski. Nice work!

Patch, did you see any elk on that trip? I need some coordinates for a hunt.

Some folks wanted to know how I added an aux cord to the factory head unit:

Thread 'DIY Nakamichi Head Unit 3.5mm (Aux) Install '98-02'

Hey Patch, would you happen to have a wiring diagram for the Nakamichi system? The one I have is for ML for some reason DirectTechs only lists ML.

Hey Patch, would you happen to have a wiring diagram for the Nakamichi system? The one I have is for ML for some reason DirectTechs only lists ML.

I do not. I’m sure you can find it somewhere. I just opened it up and looked around

I would like to mount my Rugged Radio like yours.

I would like to mount my Rugged Radio like yours.

It’s super simple! Just use a dremel to cut a hole to-size and shove it in there. The one annoyance is that I can’t see the LCD because i’m tall

It’s super simple! Just use a dremel to cut a hole to-size and shove it in there. The one annoyance is that I can’t see the LCD because i’m tall
Did you order a mount from Rugged or are you using the clip?

For those who are interested, I recently landed a deal with Auxito LEDs for a 15% off discount code “PATCHLX”

They sent me some free LED low beam bulbs and wow what a difference. It’s nice to bring the truck into the 21st century without breaking the bank.

I finished the labor intensive part of fixing this oil leak. But i have a long way to go…

There’s an o-ring behind the oil pump on the block that over time shrivels or cracks, letting oil seep past it. The symptoms for me were oil drips forming on the oil pan and draining out of the wheep hole on the crank timing cover.

Here are the steps in this repair ($4 for the o-ring)

1. remove front diff and crossmember
2. remove timing belt
3. disconnect AC compressor from block
4. remove crank pulley
4a. remove oil cooler and dipstick
5. remove no.1 and no. 2 oil pans (fipg)
6. remove oil slinger (gasket)
7. remove oil pump (fipg and o-ring)
8. replace o-ring, reinstall oil pump, install new crank seal

9. reverse process

part numbers available on my spreadsheet: (relevant sub headings are Oil Pump, Oil Cooler, Timing Belt/Water Pump)

1999 LX470 Parts List

6CD4907A-6178-44BC-BEB1-A44D106DCC22.jpeg

297E641C-2E70-4260-B362-7ACF98C8EDDC.jpeg

6241554B-7E03-42E1-AB69-48B5C5DBB7CC.jpeg

3D842E31-2FCC-466B-8E98-D382951F8691.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom