Patch or Replace? Quarter Panel and Rear Sill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

231Designs

SILVER Star
Threads
A tale as old as time.....how far down the rabbit hole do we go?

I just received my new Tire and Cooler carrier from - lcwizard - and in preparation decided it was time to take off the diamond plating that 1999 me had put on the FJ40 and take off the crappy old Kayline Tire and Jerry Can carrier that I put on there (sadly I can't blame the PO - just my younger dumber poorer self) - -

Anyhow - I was reminded why I added the diamond plate when I removed it to find the giant hole that the original tire carrier mounts on the passenger quarter and the rear sill ripped through.

So - the question I'm pondering as a non welder - but with a cousin that has offered to help.....(teach me and help with the project) - - - do we attempt to patch these holes - - - or do I simply bite the bullet and order new quarter panels (was looking at CCOT)

Any thoughts would be appreciated - - they are no where near as bad as the ones that I've seen totally rotted through in photos posted up here....but I'm not sure how much 'good metal' there still is to weld to. Experienced eyes can probably see lots more than mine.

Photos below - - and if you need a specific photo please let me know. I started to wire wheel the rear sill upper and exposed that split.

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

Last edited:
I had less rust than you, but some Bondo and I had my rear sill quarter panels replaced using real steel for both the panels and sill. Body shop felt it was a better way to go because the didn’t know what they would uncover once they started patching.

The real street parts did need tweaking, but overall they thought the quality was good.

With everything off the truck the fixed a few things as well. I guess in the end I wanted a total solution - fix it all once.

CB7F36F2-BCD4-48D1-A871-A8074BDC9BC7.jpeg

If you want to do it right, you’re going to end up with a new passenger quarter, at least drivers lower quarter patch and a rear sill (and likely rear floor patch); depending on what else you find.
What’s the goal? If you want/have a good, presentable driver, I’d patch the hole, try to put a bigger nut plate on the inside to disperse the weight and paint match. Much less time/money/work and you’ll be back enjoying it way quicker.

I had less rust than you, but some Bondo and I had my rear sill quarter panels replaced using real steel for both the panels and sill. Body shop felt it was a better way to go because the didn’t know what they would uncover once they started patching.

The real street parts did need tweaking, but overall they thought the quality was good.

With everything off the truck the fixed a few things as well. I guess in the end I wanted a total solution - fix it all once.

View attachment 2595714

Thanks for the feedback - your 40 looks awesome. Definitely one that I would find myself admiring in a parking lot.
I’m leaning towards doing the full repair - quarters and sill - just might have to wait until the fall when I’ll have a bit more time and simply run it without the diamond plate on it this summer as motivation to fix the ugly.

I’m not going to put the factory tire carrier or the Kayline one back on. So all the holes can be filled in. The new one is the 4-Plus products one....it looks too pretty to bolt onto this as is.

Fix it correctly. New quarters and sill at least. Don't half-ass it. You and your 40 deserve better
I totally hear you - and probably asked the question in the first place to keep myself from half-assing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom