Patagonia sell or ship?? 1987 FJ60 175k V8 (1 Viewer)

Patagonia or sell

• Patagonia

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Sell

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. It’s been a while since I’ve been on mud and thought of this group for some feedback on whether to sell or ship my truck to Patagonia.
I’ve built it up with the intention of driving it overlanding but never made the time to make it happen. So, she sits in the garage with a few trips to camp each year. The cost to ship to Patagonia was nearly $10k after import taxes, registration, shipping, etc. So, debate now is sell here and buy another in Patagonia or is there a cheaper way to get it to Chile. Ship to Panama and drive down?
Here’s the details on the truck, no idea what it would list for:
1987 FJ60 177k
V8 swap with less than 10k. All records
Dual battery
A/C
OME Dakkar kit
Greasable Shackles
Front and rear sway bar
Dynamat sound deadening
Aftermarket Bluetooth stereo and speakers
Custom front bumper from 4plus
Customer rear swing away bumper from 4plus
Warn VR10 winch

Thanks for the feedback!
David

D0E10045-6D78-43C6-B55F-2B42D3547A94.jpeg

336001DB-DDB4-4A55-BFC1-0E53AA52D785.jpeg

4F617FF4-AB38-481C-A00B-BFBC7A0C347B.jpeg

319582FC-6CB2-4D46-A118-7F500E46DFF4.jpeg

DAB3D949-577C-4EB1-A219-F650056A263B.jpeg

You'd have to ship to SA, not Panama, in order to drive down. Unless you're wanting to take on the Darien. :D

No one knows your situation (life, finances, time, ect...) better than you so it's difficult to answer.
Simple answer? Drive it down. Hell of a trip.
You'll be hard pressed to build another like that.

It's a very nice looking 60. I love my tpi in mine. I couldn't see myself selling her. Thankfully, I am not in your shoes. Welcome back.

You'd have to ship to SA, not Panama, in order to drive down. Unless you're wanting to take on the Darien. :D

No one knows your situation (life, finances, time, ect...) better than you so it's difficult to answer.
Simple answer? Drive it down. Hell of a trip.
You'll be hard pressed to build another like that.
Thanks Tony. It’s been quite a ride thus far but as you point out the time to drive from US to Patagonia does not work for me :(. Ya Darien gap...forgot about that one. There goes my idea of driving part way.lol

You might find a cool diesel variant in Chile, but I bet it won’t be as nice as what you’ve got.

What’s your timeline for getting it to Chile? Shoot, I’d consider driving it from Portland to Panama...

You might find a cool diesel variant in Chile, but I bet it won’t be as nice as what you’ve got.

What’s your timeline for getting it to Chile? Shoot, I’d consider driving it from Portland to Panama...
Yes, I was thinking buying a Hilux with the money I’d get from the sale, but hey maybe now we’re talking a new game....if you can get it to South America maybe I can find the time or someone to drive it the remainder. hmmm...

There seems to be a lot of cool stuff in various parts down south that we can't get here. That stuff may be more familiar to the locals to work on if that's a consideration vs a swapped American rig. That said your rig looks phenomenal and that would be hard to part with.
What engine is in it 5.7?

There seems to be a lot of cool stuff in various parts down south that we can't get here. That stuff may be more familiar to the locals to work on if that's a consideration vs a swapped American rig. That said your rig looks phenomenal and that would be hard to part with.
What engine is in it 5.7?
It’s a Chevy 350 crate motor carburetor

Heck! You pay the fuel and I’d drive it down for you.

Isn’t there a ferry to go around Panama?

It’s a Chevy 350 crate motor carburetor
Well its a pretty easy to work on engine. As long as parts are available down there I would try to figure a way to keep it. It looks very, very clean and well loved and depending how old the swap is you may not get back out of it anywhere near what you put in. Again the only thing that would tempt me to sell, if I were in your shoes would be the chance at interesting local stuff (assuming it exists) where you are headed. A nice diesel for example. Just my .02.

I wish you luck either way

Heck! You pay the fuel and I’d drive it down for you.

Isn’t there a ferry to go around Panama?

This is a few years old but not sure anything has changed.

Well its a pretty easy to work on engine. As long as parts are available down there I would try to figure a way to keep it. It looks very, very clean and well loved and depending how old the swap is you may not get back out of it anywhere near what you put in. Again the only thing that would tempt me to sell, if I were in your shoes would be the chance at interesting local stuff (assuming it exists) where you are headed. A nice diesel for example. Just my .02.

I wish you luck either way
Thanks. Yes, they do have some interesting diesels there.....

Ferry it's no longer an option to get around of the Darien gap .. was a neat idea with low flow ( travelers ) so it died within a year ..

If you're looking to sell - how much are you looking for? Been poking loosely poking around for a 60 ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom