Past Issues Available On Line (Suggestion) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I was thinking it would be nice that if you are a paid up TLCA member, you could view the past issues on line.

but then, how does tlca make money off all the issues they have left over?

YOU tell Todd. :)

IMO, great idea...

people come to TLCA.org, find out that they can either A> purchase old issues or B> Join TLCA to get the current issues AND see portions of the old issues online....

and, those same people now know that with the old issues online, they no longer need to hoard their 15 year old pile of TT's and can instead give them away to other potential TLCA people to entice them into joining...

I'm missing the downside...seems like a fast-easy membership driver, and increases the possibility of meeting the print-minimums that cause the extra issues now....

question is, which makes more $$...selling out with new memberships, or old inventory? Figger ya print 5000 each issue, 3500 go to members, 1500 sit in the closet...storage, packaging for sale, taking orders for those issues, etc all costs money...it's cheapest/easiest to include in the initial bulk mailing....

and including some/all of the tech/trail articles online only will entice new members more...heck, some people PREFER things online versus print! Just think...TT mails July 1, and it's online July 15....means I can leave the print version in the bathroom (where it belongs, for quality reading time) and I can still access the articles at my desk at work or from a hotel....

still missing the downside....

Done!

Hey!
This is an idea that we are working on. The Toyota Trails section of www.tlca.org, found here:
http://www.tlca.org/trails/
is under development and will be somewhat archival in nature, but there is no way we can input all the back issues in their entirety. It would be hugely expensive to do so.

So, thanks for your idea, it's a good one, and we are implementing in small portions. Every time TT comes out, the archives will get a little deeper.

chef

11,136 scans, give or take. Yikes.

I have some old issues that as time (and money) allow we'll be scanning for the archive. It's fun stuff that should be shared.

TJK

I have an idea,
Since I have already bought all the back issues that are available, it would be nice to see some of the un-attainable issues. I am sure an old time member would be willing to loan the issues for scanning, and that way, even though we can't get our hands on them, we can see what the TT evolved from, and will give people an idea of what they can expect when they order their back issues.
Cheers,
Deny

That's the type of thing I'm talking about, and I have some of it. Really old.... :D Like as old as Alan. ;p

TJK

Sweet, I guess we'll be reading about how Alan was wheeling over the Dinasours then? :D

My ingorant opinion is this...

I don't think every page of every Trails should be available. I like the idea of portions of each available online. Use this as a teaser to sell back issues and recruit new members. A lot of us place TT at the top of the list of benefits of TLCA membership and giving it away seems counterintuitive to me. I pay my dues for Trails. Perhaps I missed it but the TLCA forum and website are open to the public. No reason to join if you get the goods for free. something about a cow and free milk goes here...

dmc

I agree with Dave on this one. Only the issues that are, say 5 years old and older should be available on-line. I think us purchasing the real thing is an important source of income for TT.

IMO, portions outta be available to the general public....those with TLCA numbers outta have a password/login to view the majority of it...

added bonus for membership....

Woody,

I think your idea would be the best solution but that involves someone (you?) assigning passwords and the security behind it. I'm not technical so maybe that is a simple process but not knowing I'd hate to make a recommendation that someone else has to execute.
dmc

woody said:
IMO, portions outta be available to the general public....those with TLCA numbers outta have a password/login to view the majority of it...

added bonus for membership....

great idea.

Especially some of the early tech articles are which are quite valuable, the web is a great archive for the future...

a lot of it was vintage repair - and you can see the progress of modifications as to what works and what does not. The value of history and hindsight all in one

REALLY good idea. I've often thought about this!

I agree that the out of print articles should be made available if possible.
I've already bought every issue available, but have holes in my collection due to lack of availability.

However, that said, I would love to be able to simply access the site from a friends house and show him/her an article or two online. Also, in some situations it would be easier than digging my old magazines out.
Definitely a plus IMO

Maybe we get a chairity group together and everyone is responsible for 1 issue to scan. Then we send it to someone to archive? You tell us what format and resolution to make it. No reason 1 or 2 people should be responsible for all that work....

good idea? bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom