passenger side engine groan near PS pump/alt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In need of guidance! Wife alerted me today that she noticed a new sound and smell coming from our beloved 2000 cruiser, passenger side, general area of PS pump/alternator. I've been searching IH8 without luck. Sound is a low groan (like bad power steering but constant without turning steering wheel) at idle and seems to disappear at higher RPM's. Power steering fluid was low, so I filled to near max. Smooth operation when turning steering wheel, easy. The smell is like "plastic burning" not electrical metallic burn. Thank you in advance.

In need of guidance! Wife alerted me today that she noticed a new sound and smell coming from our beloved 2000 cruiser, passenger side, general area of PS pump/alternator. I've been searching IH8 without luck. Sound is a low groan (like bad power steering but constant without turning steering wheel) at idle and seems to disappear at higher RPM's. Power steering fluid was low, so I filled to near max. Smooth operation when turning steering wheel, easy. The smell is like "plastic burning" not electrical metallic burn. Thank you in advance.
Alternator would be a prime suspect, but you should check the serpentine belt and smooth operation of all pulleys/tensioner.

Thank you SCARd4Life. I replace the serpentine 3 years ago, snapped. Ill check the other stuff as I recently replaced pully/tensioner on my 98 Volvo v70 t5.

Wow! Blonde moment here...28 degrees now, might want to bleed the system.😜

2015 valdi2012 "Thanks Zane for the nice step-by-step writeup. My 2000 was whining like a ***** at start up (20F cold days) and as I turned the steering wheel. Thought I had a bad pump until I checked the fluid level, low and dirty. Just finished a full douche using 2 Qts. of Dexron VI in an hour and have no whining. Used your hose technique with the exception of purchasing a stop plug for the short hose, just crimped and duct taped one end. Total cost $22.00."​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom