Passenger side Brake light not working when headLights are on (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My passenger side brake light does not work on my 96 LX450 when my headlights are on. The brake lights work perfect when my lights are off. When headlights are on, applying the brakes shuts off the one filament on the passenger side light 1157. When released. The rear light will go back on. Did a search. Checked receptacle for corrosion. Replaced the bulb. Everything else working perfect. Any help would be appreciated.
Tom
96 LX450

That indicates a grounding issue. Check the grounds at center of rear frame under the truck.

Otherwise may need to replace the harness and socket on that side. About $30 from Toyota. Had a friend with a similar issue and we tore apart the truck checking and tracing. Changed that harness in about 25 minutes and solved it.

Good luck.

That indicates a grounding issue. Check the grounds at center of rear frame under the truck.

Otherwise may need to replace the harness and socket on that side. About $30 from Toyota. Had a friend with a similar issue and we tore apart the truck checking and tracing. Changed that harness in about 25 minutes and solved it.

Good luck.

^^^^^

This is exactly it. One fix or the other.

Also look for corrosion inside the socket.

Stupid question. Do I need to remove spare tire to see ground wire in middle? I couldn’t find it earlier. I Ordered a new brake light socket just in case. For some reason it looks like my trailer harness attaches to the side marker light on passenger side. Is that normal?

Stupid question. Do I need to remove spare tire to see ground wire in middle? I couldn’t find it earlier. I Ordered a new brake light socket just in case. For some reason it looks like my trailer harness attaches to the side marker light on passenger side. Is that normal?
It's easier to see and deal with if the spare is out of the way.

The trailer harness is not supposed to come from the socket, that's a U-Haul type add on and is probably the source of your issues.

You can buy a plug and play trailer harness from e-Trailer.com that works well with no crimp wire connectors.

Dropped the spare. Found the grounds in middle near hitch. Cleaned them. Nothing. Ordered a $8.00 tail light harness from Amazon. Spliced it on with marine connectors and all fixed. Works perfect. Starting a new thread on wires I found.
Thanks for suggestions.
Tom

Dropped the spare. Found the grounds in middle near hitch. Cleaned them. Nothing. Ordered a $8.00 tail light harness from Amazon. Spliced it on with marine connectors and all fixed. Works perfect. Starting a new thread on wires I found.
Thanks for suggestions.
Tom

Good work Sir!

Love to see a person 'stay after it'. 👍 :wrench:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom