Passenger seat not moving forward and back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

I got that dreaded problem of my Passenger seat not moving forward and back.?I think i need “Housing Sub-Assembly, Power Seat, No. 2 - Toyota (72206-30040)”. Do I need two of these parts (one for each rail) or just one?

The common failure is the plastic cap (threaded) that keeps the gear meshing properly (more plastic), gets stripped and no longer is sitting properly in its threaded pocket. New plastic cap usually is all that is needed. Don't try to move it forward/backward till you fix it or you'll wreck the plastic gears too.

Search the 80 forum for seat, plastic cap, gear etc to find plenty of writeups and info.

cheers,
george.

If the caps don't solve it, you'll need to remove the seat to get to the gears and it'll be easy enough to visually inspect them both. They'll probably both be bad, in my experience. Just order the kit from Gamiviti and follow the instructions on his website. Pay particular attention to how to orient the seat prior to unplugging and removing it so you don't have to put it back in to hook it up to get access to the front worm drives!

If the caps don't solve it, you'll need to remove the seat to get to the gears and it'll be easy enough to visually inspect them both. They'll probably both be bad, in my experience. Just order the kit from Gamiviti and follow the instructions on his website. Pay particular attention to how to orient the seat prior to unplugging and removing it so you don't have to put it back in to hook it up to get access to the front worm drives!
Thanks! If I just want to bring it into my repair guy and say “Here you go”, should I order any more parts than 72206-30040? ( I’d hate to have to drive around with the passenger seat in the wayback, while I need to order more parts)

My advice is to buy the cap and two gears.
I was able to fix my drivers seat with same problem using just one replacement gear, the one facing outward. It was completely stripped while other one was fine.

Thanks! If I just want to bring it into my repair guy and say “Here you go”, should I order any more parts than 72206-30040? ( I’d hate to have to drive around with the passenger seat in the wayback, while I need to order more parts)
I don't know what that part # is for, other than $112. I think you need to read up on Gamiviti seat gears as has already been mentioned here in post #2.

If you just want new parts you need one of the housings 7220630040 and the other worm gear comes as part of the motor. 8582030220

You should fix the end cap in place, if you have the chance. I drilled a small hole in the underside of the housing and put a screw into it. Ugly but it retains it. Actually take both gears out of the respective housings, and don't just open it. One of mine had a flat spot, that was only visible when I took it out. I did that mistake causing the new gear to strip as well. If you can change your own oil and air filter you can do the repair. Just take your time. There is a way to manually move the seats by turning the shafts with a socket but that will wreck what is left of the gears.

Last edited:
Both front seats had issues when i bought mine. The end caps would turn freely allowing the bind. I screwed them in and held them in place with a screw driver and tested function. They worked if i kept them from spinning. So I also took a little drill bit and a screw from an eye glass repair kit and made a set screw situation. Been working fine since 2017.

Only had to remove the front bolts of the seat and loosen the rear bolts so i could tilt the seats.

I replaced my seats gears awhile back because my seats wouldn't move at all. Ordered new gears and caps. When I took things apart I noticed the gears were fine but everything was seized up. The grease somehow had gotten hard and prevented everything from moving. Cleaned everything really well. Installed the new gears and put new grease on everything and it works perfectly now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom