Passenger seat motor totally dead. Where to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

Car is a '97 FZJ80 with 155k miles

Been looking through seat problem threads and everything points to caps and gears. My driver seat has the cap and gear issue (tilts up and down fine, but doesn't slide back and fourth unless I loosen seat bolts). I'll be ordering parts to fix that shortly.

However, the Passenger seat has a different issue. The seat is totally dead as if there is no power to it. It won't slide, tilt, lift. Anything. I can't even hear a motor trying to turn.

Where do I start with this? Could the whole motor be dead? The switch assembly? Perhaps a fuse or something?

Thanks!

It could also be the gears/cap issue. The cap fell out of mine and the seat would not budge. I found the cap, lubed it and inserted it and secured it with a secondary screw and it works great!

My driver seat just did the same. Has power. Worked last time after I pushed on it while hitting button. It slowly came back to life. Now nothing.
Caps are all fine.
I need to fix asap for headroom for when I camp inside

My 80 was stolen last wednesday, drivers seat worked fine. CHP recovered it Saturday night, drivers seat doesn't work now. Hate to sound like a dummy, but what is a "cap" and where do i check this?

I'd start by checking the switch. If you can't hear rhe motor running it's likely not the cap or gears. Also check the fuse in the circuit and the all the connectors are plugged in. You'll likely have to pull the seat to properly troubleshoot it.

car lighter is very low amp fuse on it, I don't think it could run a seat.

I have some extra seat base units that work, tested. Pass and driver. $40 plus ride if anyone wants them.

takes about 30 minutes to swap them out, in whole. You have to take the four bolts off seat bottom and four bolts off upper section, which require hog rings to put the upper section leather back on.

Or you can just harvest all the motors and swap. Probably easier that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom