PASSENGER GLASS REPLACEMENT WOES (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
ww.instagram.com
Forced to swap in my old rear passenger glass and quarter glass for the tinted glass that came on a replacement door I just installed. Had a very successful go at it last night, everything put back together and around ten solid up/downs. On the eleventh.... failure. I haven't opened it back up to see, but I assume the glass came off the track. I had used wd40 to help get the glass in the track, was that a bad move? Any pointers?

Also, when I am successful at completing this, anyone need oem tint rear pass glass & quarter glass??? Also have regulator, motor and seal channels.

20220211_163515.jpg

I’m not sure what the problem is exactly and neither are you until you open up the door panel for a look.
But if the window came off track then there are many threads on this, you can try looking them up. Having recently done this, your window is seated into a metal track that is connected to the regulator. The regulator arm has a roller that is supposed to fit into the bottom of your window frame. Sometimes the frame shifts and you have to adjust it so the roller stays inside the track as the window moves up and down.

Sometimes people lightly crimp the end of the track to prevent the roller from coming off again. If your window continues to shift then the rubber gasket that the window seats into is probably wasted and needs to be replaced.

I’m not sure what the problem is exactly and neither are you until you open up the door panel for a look.
But if the window came off track then there are many threads on this, you can try looking them up. Having recently done this, your window is seated into a metal track that is connected to the regulator. The regulator arm has a roller that is supposed to fit into the bottom of your window frame. Sometimes the frame shifts and you have to adjust it so the roller stays inside the track as the window moves up and down.

Sometimes people lightly crimp the end of the track to prevent the roller from coming off again. If your window continues to shift then the rubber gasket that the window seats into is probably wasted and needs to be replaced.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is the way I did things. Might try to reposition the glass on the track and maybe even crimp the ends of the track (though a little scary). Thank, again.

Did you or the PO ever remove the glass from the bracket it seats into?
The guys that painted the door had gutted the windows knowing that I was going to replace. So, yes, I had to install the clear glass into the bracket again. I wish they would have left it on the bracket when removing. Don't really know why they seperated them, actually.

The guys that painted the door had gutted the windows knowing that I was going to replace. So, yes, I had to install the clear glass into the bracket again. I wish they would have left it on the bracket when removing. Don't really know why they seperated them, actually.
Hopefully they didn’t f it up too badly. That metal frame the window seats into isn’t meant to be removed from the window. I found that once it is removed the window will never be the same. It could just be me but the PO did it to mine and my window would constantly pull off that track and fall to the bottom. I tried everything to press the window back in and crimp the bottom of the frame as well as using new rubber gaskets to hold the window firmly in place. After numerous failures, I’ve decided to buy a new assembly. YMMV, of course

What @FMC80 is describing is exactly what happened to me. I used the handle of a wood hammer and found a leverage point and shifted the metal at the bottom of the window.

Pull the door panel and cycle your window and you will see exactly what FMC80 is referring to.

I used marine grade silicon adhesive of some type when my rear glass moved off track. Haven’t had an issue since, but I only crack my rear windows open for vent.

It was a bit daunting for moi replacing all four windows with new factory motors and regulators, but somehow I managed showing a few scars on my forearms for posterity.

Stooped truck. ❤

Good luck bud.

I had used wd40 to help get the glass in the track, was that a bad move?
Dirt bike riders use WD-40 to install grips. The theory being that it slightly dissolves the rubber, adhering it to the metal handlebar once it evaporates. The key being evaporates. How long did you wait after installation before running the window down?

When I got my cruiser, I think three of the four windows were off their guides. I had decent luck *thoroughly* cleaning, de-rusting, and painting the channel, along with some RTV with the old rubber filler. I used channel-locks to crimp the channel, too (it's right there in the name!).

Despite all this, my front passenger window popped partially free over the winter. The window attachment is one of the few design elements of the 80 that I really dislike.

Thanks, all. Silicone RTV is curing now on the rubber filler and track bracket. Once that's solid, I will run a bead of RTV down the center of the filler and squish glass down in there. Reassemble and crimp channel. Will give it hell. Anything I'm missing?

When you install a new glass or rubber filler in the guide rail, per the FSM, the glass should be should be so tight in the filler and rail, that you have to hammer it in. With a large rubber mallet. No lie.

I shook my head many times when I read this, and tried everything else I could think of, and then decided that Toyota engineers really do know what they're doing, and did what I was told. It worked as advertised. I'd really be skeptical about gluing that glass in place. There's not much room to work in there, and if you ever need to get it out, I think you'll be screwed.

The replacement rubber filler is only a few dollars and it works without crimping the guide rail.

I ended up gluing mine in too. Used windshield adhesive. It's been in there for years. Yes it will suck to get it out but I figure the only way I will be doing that is if the glass breaks again so I'll just go to town with the wire wheel and glue in another window.

Not sure how RTV will work, don't think its rated for adhesion to glass but I could be wrong. Also WD40 is not what I would use to install anything with rubber that is supposed to stick. The oil in the WD40 takes forever to evaporate and it possibly never will in the tight seal between the glass and the track. With that it would leave it slippery enough to pop out. I always use a mix of dawn dish soap and water, works every time for things like handle grips etc. The water dries fairly fast. If you wanted it faster use rubbing alcohol in place of the water. Only takes a few drops of dish soap in about a cup of water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom