passenger front wheel will not turn (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious did you ever get the right front wheel to spin? Think you will find converting to disc brakes a lot easier if you can pull the drums off verses breaking things to tear the axle down.

Curious did you ever get the right front wheel to spin? Think you will find converting to disc brakes a lot easier if you can pull the drums off verses breaking things to tear the axle down.
I've been away so I haven't done it yet. I should have some time today to see if I can break it free. I realize now that whenever I drive the FJ after a month or so, the front passenger wheel does hang up a bit just for a second.

I've been away so I haven't done it yet. I should have some time today to see if I can break it free. I realize now that whenever I drive the FJ after a month or so, the front passenger wheel does hang up a bit just for a second.
I raised the wheel and hit the drum with a hammer but it didn't loosen the drum brake. The wheel wouldn't turn. So I took the wheel off to rotate the tire. While the wheel was off the drum rotated. So the brakes are not the problem. I rotated the tire and put the wheel back on. Once it was all together, the wheel would not rotate. So it's got to be the axle. It's not in 4 wheel drive. The passenger front wheel rotates. Anyone ever have this problem?

The tire is rubbing on something? Maybe the drag link?

Does loosening the lug nuts free up the wheel hub?

If the vehicle is on the ground and in the clear (and the front driveshaft connected), then lock the hubs, put it in 4 high, and bump the starter. It's an old trick to free up stuck drums on a vehicle thats been sitting for a spell. You don't need or want the vehicle to start. Just a quick bump.The starter has a good bit more torque than most folks arms.

If lostmarbles were around he'd probably have answers to all your question re: '79 drum brakes.

If the brake drum turns then the axle spins. Issue it obviously on the rim/tire hitting something.

Last edited:
Watch for bolts on the wheel mount surface or other things that may cause drag.

Re front disc conversion.

It’s totally worth the effort to go with Toyota parts. Around ‘93-‘94 I converted to Toyota discs. The $21 pads lasted 20 years and 95k miles.

I’m mechanically inclined, I had no trouble figuring it out with no instructions, manuals, or help. Therefore, with the information available here, I’d say almost anyone could do the conversion.

Re just the front… I did them first, and can’t see owning a front drum brake cruiser again. I totally feel rear discs are worth it, but wait till the rear brakes need to be done. Rear discs have advantages over drums, but not huge advantages like front discs. One advantage is rear rotors are about $50 each, callipers $17, pads $30-40/set, flex lines $25 each (about $225 for everything).

I totally feel rear discs are worth it, but wait till the rear brakes need to be done. Rear discs have advantages over drums, but not huge advantages like front discs.

I agree on all counts. The only thing I would add is, when you do the rears, replace the axle seals while you're there. I replaced my wheel bearings also, just so I wouldn't have to worry about any of that for the next 30 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom