Passenger break light out 77fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have looked at ground, schematics, bulb, bought new tail light. I just can’t seem to figure out why back right break light does not come on. Running lights, blinkers work fine. Break light works on left side fine. Looked through the forum with no luck. Any thoughts?

Have you cleaned the connectors on the brake light wiring? If there is no power at the brake light trace the wire back to the first connector. Separate it and clean the connectors. Check for power and if still no power trace the wire back to the next connector. Eventually you will find where the power is being interrupted and get a working brake light.

Last edited:
So I have looked at ground, schematics, bulb, bought new tail light. I just can’t seem to figure out why back right break light does not come on. Running lights, blinkers work fine. Break light works on left side fine. Looked through the forum with no luck. Any thoughts?
FYI - If cleaning the connectors doesn't work, then there is probably a break in the wire and/or connector. Note, the '77 rear wire harness uses two brake wires (right & left) run from the main harness connector back to the rear combination lamps.

Here is photo of the OEM #82420-90318B rear harness connector to the main harness:
IMG_7839.jpg

Note: Your brake wires may be green with a white stripe.

Really hoping this is the problem. Found this broken wire, multi meter dropped and broke before I could check it. Waiting on connectors and will reconnect.

034DDCA8-545E-4AC9-BD45-0D339497207B.jpeg

Really hoping this is the problem. Found this broken wire, multi meter dropped and broke before I could check it. Waiting on connectors and will reconnect.

View attachment 2875513
Your brake light wires, in your photo above, are in the three prong back ground connector. They would be the two white wires that feed a single prong on that connector.

I believe that broken blue wire with white stripe in the six prong adapter is actually an unused circuit, I can check on my rear wire harness schematics tomorrow morning.

@dpfj77 - Looks like your harness is very similar to the OEM #82420-90318B rear harness. Below is a schematic for that harness with the color coded wires, the same as in your picture of post #4.

FJ40 - Harness Diagram - A.jpg

@dpfj77 - Looks like your harness is very similar to the OEM #82420-90318B rear harness. Below is a schematic for that harness with the color coded wires, the same as in your picture of post #4.

View attachment 2875869
This is very helpful thanks, I noticed my 6 pin connectors has 4 wires breaking off the male spade wire connecto. I can seem to fine replacement male ends that fit my 6 pin connections. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom