Passenger 116SL or LT E rated tires for a stock FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at getting some new wheels and tires soon and was torn between the passenger 116SL (44psi) vs the E rated 123/120S tires at 80 psi.. I know to run the E rated at about 54 psi and not 80psi but will the ride be much rougher light duty ones? Also, will the heavier weight beat my gas mileage up even more? 55lbs vs 40lbs.
Looking at these:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TerrainContact+A/T&sidewall=Outlined White Letters&partnum=675TR6TCATOWL&tab=Sizes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TerrainContact+A/T&sidewall=Outlined White Letters&partnum=675SR6TCATOWL&tab=Sizes

Last edited:
I can’t speak for the 60 or 62, since my 60 had/has LR-E tires on it, but it was a HUGE difference in ride quality when going from a P rated tire to an E rated tire on my lifted GX470. My 60 needs tires, and I’m going with C’s.

100% absolutely C rated! 10 ply are overkill for that light of a vehicle and will not only ride rougher but wont flex as well when aired down. The E's will work sure, but long term ride quality both on and off road will be the difference.

I edited the opening post....... The lighter tire is standard passenger type tire 116SL and NOT a C rated tire. Would that be too much of a light duty tire?
It jumps from that to the E rated 123/120S in the type of tire I am looking at...

You don't mention how she's loaded, so I can't say for certain which rating I would recommend. I would avoid passenger tires. There's a difference to the construction.

If she's getting lighter to moderate duty then C rating will cover your needs fine. These trucks tip the scales at just over 5k lbs empty, so C's will provide plenty of capacity. You'll save some coin, too.

You don't mention how she's loaded, so I can't say for certain which rating I would recommend. I would avoid passenger tires. There's a difference to the construction.

If she's getting lighter to moderate duty then C rating will cover your needs fine. These trucks tip the scales at just over 5k lbs empty, so C's will provide plenty of capacity. You'll save some coin, too.

The tire does not come in C (I made a mistake) ... It jumps from a standard load tire to a E rated LT tire.. Truck will be empty most of the time, winch on a dorky homemade front bumper...

I'd recommend shopping a bit more. There are some other good C range tires in the market. I really wouldn't recommend the Es. They're pricey, heavy, and far too stiff for the use you've described

The answer would lay in what kind of driving that you do. If its going to be mostly on road and some occasional easy dirt roads, then the P tire might be the best choice. If you plan to go 4wheeling on challenging trails 30 miles from civilization at all, you might opt for the tough sidewall . It is all trade offs.

Usually the 10 ply tires are for heavy towing but lets be real, I dont know many people towing 30 foot trailers with the 2F lol. like the above post from Zj says, If you can find another model in the LT carcass with a C or 6 ply rating that would be ideal if possible.

It is really hard to find a compromise type tire in the 265/75/16 range that is supposed to be good on the road, off road, and quiet too... This new Continental Terrain Contact A/T seems to be what I am looking for... Probably 65% on road 35% offroad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom