Passed Smog Test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
Kalifornia

Timing @ 5* BTDC (Kalif only allows +/- 2* or test fail). I watched the Tech check the timing (after I showed him where the marks were ;) )

about 40% E-85 Flex Fuel mixed with 91 Octane (or higher if available) Normal AQMD Summer Blend (oxygenated) gas.

Fresh Engine Oil

Carb tuned to slightly lean with A/F meter (bouncing between 15(ish):1 to 16:1 at idle).

smog4-21.jpg

Last edited:
Wow - just wow- those numbers are excellent.
Just goes to show (everyone else) that if an owner takes care of his engine and knows how the smog equipment (and test) works, the 2F can pass a smog test easy peasy

Strong O2 #'s good job. Air Injection for the win.
Dyno

My % O2 has never been that high so I can only attribute it to the E-85 and Summer blend gas (I normally smog in Dec/Jan but had to delay this year cuz, WuFlu) which is lower vapor pressure, and Oxygenated, I believe.

Ah - I just looked it up: E-85 is "Highly Oxygenated" ...

F’in awesome. That has to feel good.

I am procrastinating my test.

What are you doing to tune lean?

What are you doing to tune lean?

Just mix screw and watch the AF meter.

It ran a little hot with the mix lean, and It pinged on 87, so I used 91 octane and backed off the timing the 2 degrees to reduce temp and NOx and engine temp went back to normal and gave the above results. All other systems working properly.

I really think the Summer blend gas, which starts transitioning March 1st and I think goes through September, along with the E-85, made a huge difference. I'm going to wait until Summer blend is available from now on when doing the test. Just another thing the basturds won't tell you, or lie about.

I did not have to do it, but I had a back up plan to 'fool' the ABV and ACV to continually pump air from the smog pump into the exhaust pipe. It's pretty easy to figure out looking at the Air Injection section in the Emissions manual. No need to alter any of the Air Injection plumbing.

I did not know the mix screw would change that much at 1500 and 2500 rpms.

The A/F meter setup you have really does sound like the ticket. Beats just going in with your fingers crossed.

I have looked at the ABV option you’re talking about and yeah you’re right... no re-plumbing necessary.

Anyway, congrats. It’s such a crappy thing to have hanging over you, the two-year test.

Having a real problem passing smog (Idaho - Ada County) carb recently rebuilt. 85 Fj60. Vehicle runs great, Low yearly miles.
2500 RPM Test
Standard Test
CO (%) 1.20 7.69
HCC (PPM) 220 220
Dilution CO+CO2%

Any ideas?
If can't pass anyone have experience with Howell EFI?

Thanks

Im going too buy that A/F meter you mention. It is so worth it.

ALF ,

tell the Truth here , ?

did i tell you this would work or what .....

Having a real problem passing smog (Idaho - Ada County) carb recently rebuilt. 85 Fj60. Vehicle runs great, Low yearly miles.
2500 RPM Test
Standard Test
CO (%) 1.20 7.69
HCC (PPM) 220 220
Dilution CO+CO2%

@OldBeachBob - I think you need a better/working air pump or a lot of ethanol (E-85) in your fuel. You need some oxygen to burn up that CO at higher RPM

Does anyone have a part number or recommendation for the A/F meter referenced in this thread? Recently failed smog and feel that would be very useful for diagnosis.

Does anyone have a part number or recommendation for the A/F meter referenced in this thread? Recently failed smog and feel that would be very useful for diagnosis.

Any wide-band A/F meter. I used an Autometer (brand) but there are many different styles out there. Just look on Amazon. Analog, digital, both. There are plenty of Youtube vids on these meters and how to use them.

NOTE : for novelty use only...

4F454602-3692-44BB-B5DF-0FB479C28DBB.jpeg

IMG_6736.jpeg

IMG_6738.jpeg

1679207632804.png

1679207670554.png

5300CD02-1871-43DD-BB4B-72B177D21D9C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom