Passed my Tech and General today (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been studying off and on as time permitted, for about eight weeks now. I used the Dan Romanchick free study guides and the practice tests on Hamtestonline based on the recommendations of fellow mudders. Thank you. I called the VEC who was running a test back in the U.S. near my Dad's house and asked him if it would be possible for me to test for Tech and then General a week later. The VEC said why wait a week if I think that I'm ready we can do it all the same day. I went in and sat for the Tech test. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive when I handed it in. Once they had all scored and reviewed it they told me that I had passed. I then asked if I could take the General test. The examiners smiled and said go for it. I took the General test and turned that in, even more apprehensively. They graded and reviewed it and then huddled, making me more nervous. They all smiled and said that I had passed. By now the other guys who were sitting for their tests were all smiling. The examiners then asked if I wanted to go for Extra. I told them that I hadn't studied for it, didn't even have the book and didn't want to waste their time. They said that based on how well I had passed each of the previous tests they though that I should go for it. After a little encouragement I sat for the Extra test. While I knew by half way through that there really was too much new material I felt that it was a good decision to take it as I now have a really good idea of what to expect next month when I come back to the States to sit for the Extra. As others have said I'll now be bugging you guys for recommendations on rugged versatile mobile rigs and antennas. Thanks mudders and cheers.

Congrats on passing both! Don't you still have to know CW for the Extra exam? Getting to know local guys and being encouraged to go for the General too!

Again, Congrats on the double!!!

Congrats on passing both! Don't you still have to know CW for the Extra exam? Getting to know local guys and being encouraged to go for the General too!

Again, Congrats on the double!!!

Thanks a lot. Im traveling/camping out in my Dad's basement for a week:D and don't have all my ham stuff with me so I have no idea on the CW requirement. I didn't see any CW on the Extra exam that I took today. I am planning on heading out tommorow to the closest HRO and get a hands on look at the books/study guides for Extra.

No CW for any class.

Congrats on the General Class! I have no idea what I'm gong to do with mine.:D

Congratulations!
Having the General ticket is nice if you spend much time in deep BFE. With HF you are pretty well guaranteed to be able to reach someone. I've only used mine a couple times but it was impressive.

pappy - they eliminated it for extra now too? I knew they'd canned it last year for general, but thought it was still there for extra.

Well yesterday I went over to HRO and picked up the ARRL study guide for the Extra test and the Antenna book as well. After lurking here and working the search feature two multi band mobile units kept being mentioned with really positive reviews, the Yaesu FT 8900R and the ICOM 706MKIIG. As I need the unit for trail use and for long road trips/expeditions I began to look at the features that at this point, knowing nothing, SEEM to be ones that would be useful for my intended uses. I wanted a multi-band transceiver, as I really don't know at this point which frequencies will be the most useful for me in my area, small, light weight, durable, a unit that can take the pounding and shaking from some off road use. Listening to folks here I wanted a unit that was pc programable and that could be pulled out of the cruiser and used as a base station because I'm gonna need to make some contacts and get some practice in. Lastly, I wanted a unit that could be put into remote by a handheld unit and do cross band repeat. I backpack, hike and camp so I wanted a handheld multi band unit that was lightweight, could take a licking and...could still get the job done when needed. From what I have been reading either due to low power, poor location or antenna issues, many handhelds have suffered from an inability to reach anyone when out somewhere remote. The crossband repeat option, using the mobile rig in the cruiser like a repeater seemed like a nice feature which could extend the reach of the handheld in a bad situation. Soooo while at HRO I wanted to get some advice from some Elmers and to take a hard up close look at two mobile units,the ICOM 706MKIIG with the Yaesu FT 8900R. For my needs both units had some great qualities but the cross band repeat really made me zero in on the Yaesu FT 8900R/Vx-7R combo. I decided to get started and go with the Vx-7R combined with the Comet SB-14 tri band antenna. I can program it on my laptop and get some local practice making contacts in while I save up the coin for the 8900. Now all I'm waiting for is for my callsign to show up on the ULS.

Call sign just showed up

My call sign just popped up on the ULS. It is KJ4HQW. It is a mouthful so now I know that I'll be studying hard so that I can get my Extra next month. I want one of those way cool 1x2 vanity call signs which will be a lot easier to use.:grinpimp:

Did you look at the FT-8800R? Lots of us use it. I think it can do the crossband repeat as well. Something I'm interested in also out hiking, camping away from the truck with scouts where I might be able to raise help in an emergency where a cellphone would be dead.

Any real reasons to go with the VX-7 over the VX-6? I know the 7 offers real dual band like the 8800 and the 6 does not. My 'Elmer' uses both and prefers the ease of use of the 6 over the 7. 7 if you really want the dual band feature.

Pending your interest in APRS and budget you might want to look at the Kenwood TMD710A as well. It is an extremely feature rich radio, with build in TNC, X-band repeater (2m/70cm and dualband obviously), etc, etc.

It is expensive though, but it has really impressed me so far. However this radio wont make much economical sense if you are not into APRS and other data features.

As a side note you might try some paragraphs to make your posts easier to read :grinpimp:

Pending your interest in APRS and budget you might want to look at the Kenwood TMD710A as well.

It is expensive though.

SIX HUNDRED BUCKS!! I guess by the time you factor in a radio like the FT-8800 plus a TNC you are getting close to that.

Congrats Jabxyz.

I'm taking the General test in two days; should be studying instead of reading IH8MUD!

KE5VTE

Pending your interest in APRS and budget you might want to look at the Kenwood TMD710A as well. It is an extremely feature rich radio, with build in TNC, X-band repeater (2m/70cm and dualband obviously), etc, etc.

It is expensive though, but it has really impressed me so far. However this radio wont make much economical sense if you are not into APRS and other data features.

As a side note you might try some paragraphs to make your posts easier to read :grinpimp:

Bulldog,
I am definitely interested in some of the data features but honestly, at this point I'm still trying to figure out what all of the buttons do:eek:. Eventually, as my understanding of both good practice and the equipment grows, I'll be very interested in fleshing out my understanding of Echolink, IRLP, fully interfacing a small laptop with my mobile rig and exploring the crossover benefits of having each connected to the other. I can tell you that already I'm a little concerned about throughput for email and internet use, transfer speeds and the use of legacy connectors between mobile rigs and laptops. All stuff of the future for me.
Yeah, paragraphs...gotta remember those section breaks.:grinpimp:

mobile is pretty much good for short messages (also short emails), position tracking, etc. There is not enough bandwidth at the normal 2m/440 for anything fancy.

As a side note, I think most folks never figure out all the functions on their radios :grinpimp:

See breaking sentences out is not that hard :D

I've had the IC-7000 for a few months now and love it - but keep thinking about the 8800/8900 units from Yaesu. I'll likely give in and buy one just for the cross band repeat feature.

I've been holding off on the hand-held simply b/c I like the vx-7 so I figure I'll really like the vx-8 (if only they would arrive in the states and start shipping).

Congrats!

I've had the IC-7000 for a few months now and love it - but keep thinking about the 8800/8900 units from Yaesu. I'll likely give in and buy one just for the cross band repeat feature.

I've been holding off on the hand-held simply b/c I like the vx-7 so I figure I'll really like the vx-8 (if only they would arrive in the states and start shipping).

Congrats!

All the ham radio seller websites are saying mid November, limited shipments from what I've seen. I'd be leary of buying an early model. Never know if it was simple production delays or bugs they haven't really figured out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom