Passed CA SMOG With My Aux Tank For Those Wondering!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

Since installing my AUX tank i have gotten a decent amount of emails asking if the setup will effect passing smog.

Well, i just got back from the smog station and passed with flying colors.

The tester even joked that the state should pay me to drive this rig its so clean! HA!

Anyone, thought i would pass that along for anyone interested/curious!

Carry On

Kevin,

This was on my mind the other day as smog time is drawing near. Very good info, thanks for letting us know.

Jeb

I would guess that the biggie would be the neck restrictor.

Pardon my ignorance guys, being from the other side of the world and unfamiliar with the 'smog test', how does installing an aux tank effect anything to do with smog? Or is your smog test like a roadworthy certificate or MOT for the whole vehicle?

Just curious.

Pardon my ignorance guys, being from the other side of the world and unfamiliar with the 'smog test', how does installing an aux tank effect anything to do with smog? Or is your smog test like a roadworthy certificate or MOT for the whole vehicle?

Just curious.

they do check things like how airtight the fuel tank cap is, make sure the smog system has not been disabled or tampered with etc. Of course, this is a quick check, and not very detailed. But in principle, if you were to add a tank without the proper cap and they see it, you would fail I assume...

Basicly it has to do with evaporative emissions. The fuel system is sealed in a manner that is supposed to prevent raw fuel vapors from escaping. The components associated with that system have a capacity to deal with a specific ammount of fuel and if additional fuel capacity is added to the system there is a posibility that the additional fuel will over-power the system's ability to contain it.

D-

They are also usually super anal in California about the visual and making sure everything LOOKS like its there!

Kevin,

Good work, It never even crossed my mind that an aux tank would be an issue.

for what its worth, mine also has passed twice now. They don't even check for the restrictor anymore...just the pressure test.

Mine passed they never even noticed it. All you can see is the filler neck and gas cap unless you crawl under it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom