Pass drop T Case for 1987 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I am planning on swaping to FJ80 axle front and rear in my 87 4runner. The problem for the rear is I need a Tcas that will have a passenger side drop to mate up with the full float FJ 80 diff. I am having a hard time finding anything that will work for that. Does anyone have any ideas what I can use?

How about does anyone know if the FJ80 T case would bolt up to the 4runners trans? Or is there a company out there that makes custom T case that I could order to get a pass drop? I also forgot to mention it is a 22RE with a 5 speed manual.

you might consider a custom fabbed centered rear. your other option is possibly an atlas.
I want to run the factory axle for ease of replacement parts. I also have everything for the rear already so Id be out a lot of money. Does atlas make T cases with different drops?

Also if I was to just go with a centered T case and the passenger side diff would the vibrations from crossing the driveshaft be bad enough to make it not drivable on the street? I do plan on driving this long distance.

gas tank clearance on the pass side would be an issue. as far as I know the only thing in a fabbed housing thats not something you can grab from a junkyard (if you can even find a cruiser in a junkyard) or auto parts store is a cut to length axle shaft but even stock you probably have to order them online these days so you aren't really losing out on anything

The problem though even if I wanted to do a custom rear axle housing is I already have the money into building the factory rear that ill never get back. The gas tank is going to have to move if I do a pass drop T case. If I stick with the centered factory T case I think it will clear the tank. I am just concerned with the vibrations really. I dont want to get it all built and then it be a horrible time driving around.

The problem though even if I wanted to do a custom rear axle housing is I already have the money into building the factory rear that ill never get back. The gas tank is going to have to move if I do a pass drop T case. If I stick with the centered factory T case I think it will clear the tank. I am just concerned with the vibrations really. I dont want to get it all built and then it be a horrible time driving around.
What money other than the cost of axle shafts and the housing itself are would you lose going to a fabbed housing?

Last edited:
Ill be out everything in the housing down to gaskets unless tge new housing used FJ80 everything besides the shafts. I have never looked into building a custom housing. Can you get them to use everything for a FJ 80 besides the shafts?

Ill be out everything in the housing down to gaskets unless tge new housing used FJ80 everything besides the shafts. I have never looked into building a custom housing. Can you get them to use everything for a FJ 80 besides the shafts?

uses your 9.5 diff and whatever other parts you carry over.

So would I just cut the full float flanges off the factory axle to put on the ends of the new axle housing. Then have some safts made up for it? I am trying to figure the simplest and cheapest way out of this problem, in terms of changing the T case or changing the axle housing.

So would I just cut the full float flanges off the factory axle to put on the ends of the new axle housing. Then have some safts made up for it? I am trying to figure the simplest and cheapest way out of this problem, in terms of changing the T case or changing the axle housing.
I think you can cut them off and weld them on but dont hold me to it, I know front range off road sells brand new full float flanges. you can go with cut to length shafts from nitro gear and axle for ~270ea. new housing and shafts is a strength upgrade and lets you do dual gear drive tcase and all that stuff

I think you can cut them off and weld them on but dont hold me to it, I know front range off road sells brand new full float flanges. you can go with cut to length shafts from nitro gear and axle for ~270ea. new housing and shafts is a strength upgrade and lets you do dual gear drive tcase and all that stuff
Ok I am going to look into the custom housing. Thank you for the links I hadnt really considered swapping the housing.

Fj60 t-case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom