1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parts washer advice?

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by Klunky Chris, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

So I've been needing a parts washer for a while now and am thinking of pulling the trigger. There is also a new in box 40 gal in the paper here for $75 :eek:
    (haven't gotten ahold of the seller for details yet though...)

I've been looking in the sub $300 range and really they all *look* the same, like they are all OEM'ed by the same company.

two examples:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36105
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=507&categoryId=85635

I want something big enough that I can fit big parts in, and I'd love to have a heated system (but don't think it's in my price range...)

I've also been kicking around the idea of making my own. That way I can spend the cash on a good pump and heater setup etc. Either use a 55 gallon drum cut in half, or weld a rectangular style together from 16/14 gauge.

Any good ideas out there?

2. Junk

Junk

Klunky - could be your lucky day. I have an extra, new, unused heated 25 gallon barrel mount that I'm selling for $350. Short version of the story is I bought one on ebay and got stiffed. Got the authorities involved and eventually got it. In the meantime, I had gone out and purchased this one for a lot more than I'm selling it for.

I prefer the barrel mounts because of the way the motor is separated from the crap. It helps the motors last a lot longer. The heated is very cool to use for other things too like the gas grill parts etc where the stuff is baked on . The heat really helps break things up fast. The flow on this one is up to about 250 and it's a 25 gal. Let me know if you're interested. I've been using the other one (exactly the same) and love it. Good thing for you, is you may not have to pay shipping if you want to meet me halfway some place. oh, and :flipoff2: :D

FYI, those motors that come from Northern Tool and HF are total crap.

3. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I got the 20 gal Northern. $80. Holds all the parts I've needed it to, works quite well.
    Yeah the motors tend to go out (mine hasn't). I'll replace the pump with a good one when it does.

4. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

Junk,
    If Chris is not interested in the parts washer I am. Located in central NJ.
    Andrew

5. Trevor

Trevor

Albums:
    I just got my Harbor Freight parts washer this weekend. Yeah, I know HF sucks, but it was cheap. What is everyone using for cleaner? I'm in a rental, so I don't want to use anything too flammable.

EDIT: Spelling

6. Junk

Junk

Trevor - look down some threads. There was one not too long ago where everyone was saying what they were using. I would not use anything corosive.

7. Trevor

Trevor

Albums:
    Uh, oh yeah...Search newb... :-[

8. Junk

Junk

:flipoff2:

LOL, I would not have thought it was there but just happened to remember the post.