parts washe, what's safe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tlc1995

SILVER Star
Threads
1996 FZJ. replacing head gasket and was curious what is ok to send through the parts washer? can the oil cooler and exhaust/intake manifolds be hot tanked are heater pipe and water bypass pipe ok? just seeing what I should send to machine shop when head is decked!!! also what is best way to clean off cylinder block? I've done some research but their is tons of different opinions and ways just trying to find what most of you would agree on or recommend thanks for any advice and information.

Jd

Everything can go in or just get brake cleaner and some diesel. The intake manifold can be hot tanked if there is a lot of carbon build up. The rest of the stuff is easy by hand. If you hot tanked everything you would still want to clean it afterwards.

thanks I'll take this into consideration on how what I will decide to get cleaned or do myself.

thanks I'll take this into consideration on how what I will decide to get cleaned or do myself.

I soaked my intake manifold in super clean with water and used oven cleaner also. The oven cleaner will help etch the aluminum for paint to stick too plus help get the carbon out after soaking and cleaning. The exhaust manifolds don’t need much done unless they are full of carbon. I used brake clean and seafoam to clean the tops of the pistons. You can buy a scraper with a good amount of razor blades to carfully clean the block surface. Use a shop vac to suck up the crud from the coolant passages. You can turn the crank by hand to rotate the pistons for cleaning.

For my block deck I spent a good 4 hours very carefully going at it with a razor blade. Not a plastic one, or at least that didn't work for me. Steel wire brushes were also ineffective.
You've gotta keep it at either a very shallow angle, the chamfer of the blade nearly flat to the block, or put it completely vertical and use a scraping action. Nowhere in between or it'll catch.
Curving the blade with 3 fingers (index and middle on the bottom, thumb on top in the middle, quickly going back and forth with my wrist) while using the first method was the best way to really get all the little tiny bits that were really baked on and hard.

For the piston tops it was chipping off the 1/16th inch of carbon buildup with a old rounded over flathead screwdriver and then another 4 hours of work with a metal wire brush and carb cleaner (cause its meant to dissolve carbon after all), while using a lot of paper towels to try and keep too much out from around the piston. And when done a LOT of turning it over with a ratchet while carefully handling the timing chain, and wiping away the stuff pushed up and left on the walls. Repeat until stuff isn't getting left anymore which was probably somewhere around 20 turnovers at least?

For getting the head decked, make sure it is straight first. You don't want the deck to be straight but the camshaft bores warped 30 thousandths. Mine was warped that much over the length, and none of the streightening shops wanted to touch it cause of how old/heat cycled it was, they were certain it would just crack. That's why I'm running a $400 china head (with another $400 of valve work done do it and thoroughly disassembling it to clean out the oil and coolant passages as they were full of machining swarf).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom