Parts run: Northern Illinois to Northern California

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by PolterGeist, Aug 10, 2005.

1. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Long story short-- I bought a bunch of Cruiser parts from someone, and no shipping company will take them, unless I'm willing to pay more for shipping than the parts are worth.

So, next tuesday, I will be driving from Harvard, IL (northwest of Chicago) to the Bay Area of California.

I will be following I-80 all the way.

I will not have room for anything on the way back, but on the way out, I can carry anything you can jam into a VW Jetta TDI without damaging it.

PM me or email to sfgeist910 at yahoo dot com

It will be a breakneck trip-- I do not have time for major detours as I will be on a very tight schedule.

If you need parts moved along i-80 though, here is your chance.

Steve

2. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd offer you lodging for a night, but I am north of I-80 by a couple of hours.

Wave as you go by!

3. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Thanks, I will.

And thanks for the offer. I'll be leaving here at about 5 am or so, and I won't stop driving till past midnight. THe plan is to fill the tank with good diesel, wet it down with slick diesel, set the cruise at 70 and not stop till I absolutely have to. When I do have to stop, I'll most likely pull over at at rest area and sleep in the car for a few hours...

I'll be tired, cranky and, well, prolly pretty ripe smelling when I get to CA, but time is of the essence here.

Again thanks for the offer.

Steve

4. zetasig

zetasig

That better be some golden parts to drive that far.... Gas Time and the size that will fit in a jetta. Not talking about axles or engines here are we.

good luck man.

I drove 28 hours roundtrip in a weekend for a body and frame. Boy that sucked.

5. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Quarter panels, doglegs, sections of floorboard and a rear sill.

As far as time, I am on vacation for the next three weeks, but once school starts again, I won't have time. Gas? Diesel actually. When I have high quality diesel, and lube it down with slick diesel, the Jetta can get around 60 MPG if the temperature and road grade cooperate, and I can just set cruise and not touch the throtte. Needless to say when I get west, the temp and terrain and altitude will change, but on a flat road with good diesel and good temps, I have gotten 70 MPG in the past. Of course that was on a trip when everything was perfect (68 degrees, good fuel, no hills, near sea level, no stop and go) so I'm hoping that I can average at least 50 MPG on this trip as a whole.

The cost of me to do this, on my calculations is half as much as the cheapest shipping company.

Steve

6. hodag

hodag

If you need anything as you pass through Omaha, let me know. Got a hide-a-bed in the basement and a garage full of crap.

Hodag 402-614-1156

7. LabRat11

LabRat11

Side bar .......

Could you please enlighten me a little at to what you refer to as good and slick diesel???? What's the theory behind what makes this the best fuel for your jetta???

Just real curious ... thanks

8. incogrhino

incogrhino

Sounds like a road trip to me.I jealous. Drove 26 1/2 hours straight before. Have fun.

9. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Slick diesel is a diesel fuel additive. It does several things-- removes water, increases cetane, and gives added lubrication to the injector pump.

When I say "good" diesel, I'm usually referring to diesl that has those properties, and is clean and pure.

Unfortuantely, I have to go really quick, so I can't type my own response to your question, so I had to plagiarize one; :)

Compared to “rack” diesel, Premium Diesel will have better lubricity, better thermal stability, higher cetane quality, and during winter months better low temperature properties. These performance features provide the following benefits for all diesel engines – whether used in agriculture or other operations.

Today’s diesel fuels are more highly refined, and many of the natural lubricity agents are removed. Premium diesel helps assure you get optimum life from your fuel injection system. Better thermal stability protects against high temperature degradation that can occur with modern fuel systems where fuel is used to transfer heat from the injection system. This degradation can lead to fuel system deposits and shorter fuel storage life.

Improved cetane quality can contribute to less smoke on start up, faster cold weather starts, a quieter engine, and improved combustion (more power, better fuel consumption, and reduced emissions). And better low temperature properties means more protection from fuel gelling and consequently fuel flow at much lower temperatures.
    (From ROTELLA.COM)

I'll have more time tonight if you have other questions.

Steve

10. LabRat11

LabRat11

AAaaahh - I see.

Many thanks and enjoy the trip.

11. patride71

patride71

fawk that...just made the trip from Northern IL to Texas non stop twice in the past 6 weeks. 19 hours on the first trip and 22 hours the second one. i don't care if i ever make that drive again....

12. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

You just didn't do it right. You gotta take three or more days and travel all the back roads, including stopping at Grouseman's house and chowing on seriously quality grub. :)

You gotta do it on a motorcycle too. ;)

13. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

I am most decidely NOT looking forward to this.

BUt hey, if you think it would be fun, wanna borrow a Jetta and drive from IL to California and back to get some parts? :)

Steve

14. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    offering accomodation just a bit south of I-80 Omaha, less parts than Hodag, though. 402-682-5762 (402-559-2869 work).

15. dclee

dclee

Hey dude -

A bunch of us NorCal guys are off the 80 corridor in Sacramento. Before you leave, hit me up if you think you might need anything near Sac. We can exchange cell phone #s if you want.

16. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

About 20 miles northeast of Sacramento, you'll pass right through Roseville on I-80. Let me know if you need anything.

You'll be about 2 hours (if no traffic) from San Francisco when you pass Roseville. If you pass by during commute hours (any time between 3PM and 5PM) you can add another 1.5 to 2 hours to your trip.

PM me if you want my phone/contact info.

17. Hossdog

Hossdog

Take a second on the house cuz Diesel is about $3.10 a gallon in the last couple days.....I got 2 Superduty Diesels and my fuel bill last month was $1100.00....bend over and think of Christmas. :doh:

18. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Christ! I guess I ought to get about five of the five gallon gas cans and fill them with diesel here in Illinois so when I get to the land of $3 diesel I'll have strategic reserves or something.

Or. more realistically, if I just took two, that's 3/4th of a tank in the Jetta, and it ought to get me about 500 miles or so.... Damn, $3.10 a gallon.

Steve

19. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Fawk.. at least my wife fills her tdi once every 5-6 weeks and my bj is down and out :(

It's climbed up to 2.60 here. It's crazy the fluctuations when it's almost a month between fillups :)

Personally I think your nuts for that kind of drive for parts LOL. :grinpimp:

20. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    i'd wave as you passed, but i'm up by i-70, so i don' tthink you'll see me...have a safe trip :flipoff2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.