Parts overlap minitruck to FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 1983 minitruck and was wondering about parts overlap with a 1979 FJ40? Would seat belts overlap?

I have already pulled Aisin hubs, PS (just need to buy the bracket now), slotted white painted mags and BFG AT tires.

I may have to post something like this post on the mini side for obvious reasons. Sorry for the cross post but the cruiser guys on this baord knwo the FJ40's and the mini guys seems to know the mini's.

So far, the obvious parts to sell on this truck are: front axle, rear axle, five speed tranny, 22R for core(no worky), transfer case, canopy, body parts, bench seat, cab etc?

thanks

Aaron

birfs and everything from the knuckle out on the front end will work on the cruiser. also, if it has a cv front shaft, those are good to modify for soas.

5 speed

hey texas77fj40 - was this statement a joke?

you should be able to put the 5 speed in the 40 with the right adapter. it's a very nice upgrade, i know a couple of guys using them and they love 'em.

What adaptor where can I buy it ?

thanks

Aaron

i wouldn't.

those 5 speeds cop a bad wrap in australia as being weak.

a 40 is heavy and torquy

question

Hey bad_religion_au

You said: "i wouldn't. those 5 speeds cop a bad wrap in australia as being weak. a 40 is heavy and torquy"

Just to clarify...if the tranny was free and I killed it with too much torque is there othe rdamage that I could do or could I just hold onto the cruiser tranny and replace if the experiement failed?

Obviously the draw for a DD is free tranny vs big money for h55f.

let me know your thoughts

thanks

Aaron

yeah i can't see any loss if you blew it and it was a free tranny, except for cost of the adaptor, and possibly the sale price on the mini tranny, and the cost of getting it to work (mounts, driveshaft shortening).

oh and i think their center drop, instead of passenger drop (if you use the tcase with it) meaning your driveshaft may angle across to the diff

but that shouldn't be a huge issue.

thanks

bad_religion_au- thanks I understand. Depends on the overall cost. If the adaptor is over $400, maybe a waste to chance it. Just spend the $2k on the H55f and know as a DD it will last.

thanks

Aaron

yeah, by the time you source the conversion, and mess around with it (not a super common one, so they might not have the resources around) it might work out better to sell it and save for a h55f, but that'll still take driveshaft work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom