Parts help for '64 hardtop refresh w/bifold doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know where I can get replacement rubber for the bifold doors on my '64 hardtop? TIA.

Now, that's just too easy!
OK, how about the hinges that attach the top bifold to the roof ass'y? Oh yes, and the 3 window rubber gaskets?

Put out a want ad in the classifieds section for the hinges. I think the window gaskets are common at auto glass shops (have a locking piece along with the main piece), cut to length.

SOR has the window gaskets. Or what middlecalf said about auto glass shops..

The next step after getting the HT sides sandblasted is dealing with the fiberglass top to drip rail situation.
There is enough rust-through in the rail piece that welding repair will be necessary as well as painting the inner areas.
Before I seperate them by grinding off the rivets I want to find the best way to re-attach the steel to the top.
Is there a simple way to rivet them back together or is using small threaded hardware an acceptable solution?
What is a good sealing material in between?
I'm hoping that many mudders have dealt with this in the past and to take advantage of their experience. TIA.

Aluminum rivets are available and easy to set. No reason not to do it right.
I don't think pop rivets will give the desired look so what tool would make the rivets correct?
Is there a correct sealer that goes between the parts?

I don't think pop rivets will give the desired look so what tool would make the rivets correct?
Is there a correct sealer that goes between the parts?
I'm sure @1MAC is referring to the factory original style SOLID rivets, not pop rivets.

Not to step on any toes, but I'd like to add my .02 on seam sealer. IMO 3m fast and firm is an inferior product. Used to use it 20 years ago, It has significant tendencies to shrink and crack as years pass and I will no longer use it on anything, ever. You'll find a much better product in 3m 08307 and 08308 sealers. They are both a 2 part catalyzed product so you don't have to wait on "air dry"-as a byproduct of this they contain no solvents, are 100%solids and don't shrink. The one and only downside of using the good stuff is they require a special gun for dispensing. I'd recommend the 08307 for this project as it's self leveling and will save you some work making it smooth and pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom