Parts BJ60 with 650,000 kms and still going (mostly!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well,

I picked up my parts BJ60 today. It's an '85 with about 650,000 kms and it's still running, but not without issues. The engine seems pretty good. I don't know much about diesels, but I didn't see any clouds of smoke behind me when I drove it. It does have tranny problems though. It gets stuck in 4th gear, and pops out of 5th, so it's in need of some work.

Would this tranny still be of use to someone wanting to do a 5 speed conversion even with the knowledge that it needs a rebuild? Will a rebuild fix the popping out of 5th issue, or is this tranny at the end of it's life?

Edit - even though there was no cloud of smoke driving... apparently it does smoke :)

Last edited:
5 speed rebuild kits available.

There are rebuild kits available for that transmission as well as the transfer case, (follow these links).

As far as I know, that tranny will not be compatible with anyone interested in doing a 5 speed swap with a FJ60 or FJ62 or HJ60, it'll work fine with almost any BJ powered vehicle, however, I'm sure you'll get an answer from the people on this board.

Last edited:
jearl said:
Well,

Would this tranny still be of use to someone wanting to do a 5 speed conversion even with the knowledge that it needs a rebuild? Will a rebuild fix the popping out of 5th issue, or is this tranny at the end of it's life?
:)

They can be rebuilt more than once depending on whats wrong and how much you want to spend..
The 5th gear jumping out is usually resolved with a a rebuild kit.
Its caused by a worn bush that allows movement

jearl said:
Well,

I picked up my parts BJ60 today. It's an '85 with about 650,000 kms and it's still running, but not without issues. The engine seems pretty good. I don't know much about diesels, but I didn't see any clouds of smoke behind me when I drove it. It does have tranny problems though. It gets stuck in 4th gear, and pops out of 5th, so it's in need of some work.

Edit - even though there was no cloud of smoke driving... apparently it does smoke :)
Depending on how far it has travelled the box may or may not cost an arm and leg to rebuild.This could posibly be selectors and a weak detent spring can let it jump out of 5th gear. Take the top off the box and look at the selectors are they worn,is there any chipped teeth on gears ? If you look at the gear teeth can you see any delamination of the hard casing on them. Are there any whines etc from bearings while driving especially when accelerating or decelerating.:cheers: .

Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to decide now whether to use the high mile engine out of this '85, and put it into my '84 to get it running... or rebuild the '84 engine and start with a fresh motor.

This should probably be in chat! :)

I saw one for sale that had flipped the odometer with the stock B motor, not saying what had been replaced on the old girl, but that surprized me.

are you parting out the whole truck? well at least what you dont need? where abouts in ab?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom