Partial Body Lift Possible?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone successfully "partially" lifted a body off the frame to get at bolts like the Fuel Tank Strap or Filler Neck? I only need a few inches on the left side to remove the bolt that secures the Fuel Tank Strap anchor-to-body. When I back out the Bolt, it ends up hitting the frame. I have started removing the body mount bolts on the left side, hoping I can jack it up 2" or 3" to remove the bolt. But of course, given the East Coast salt, I had two of the nuts strip (even with Kroil and Torch). So, before I start cutting, I thought I would ask if anyone has ever done a "partial" body lift to get at parts, without the full firewall ordeal.

IMG_1487.jpeg
IMG_1488.jpeg

Might keep an eye on the radiator and fan shroud during the lift.

Has anyone successfully "partially" lifted a body off the frame to get at bolts like the Fuel Tank Strap or Filler Neck? I only need a few inches on the left side to remove the bolt that secures the Fuel Tank Strap anchor-to-body. When I back out the Bolt, it ends up hitting the frame. I have started removing the body mount bolts on the left side, hoping I can jack it up 2" or 3" to remove the bolt. But of course, given the East Coast salt, I had two of the nuts strip (even with Kroil and Torch). So, before I start cutting, I thought I would ask if anyone has ever done a "partial" body lift to get at parts, without the full firewall ordeal.

View attachment 2346858View attachment 2346859
Another post on this site said to cut the strap bolt short to remove it - he did not elaborate but I guess you can either buy a replacement short bolt or reuse the one you took off. I’m reinstalling my ‘96 fuel tank and have new straps to put on...but I quickly decided to reuse the old straps after seeing that drivers side strap bolt blocked by the frame...

Ultimately, this turned into a decent project only because I decided to replace the smaller front strap. That is the one that is blocked. I ended up getting the body mount bolts removed and did a small 3 inch lift up on driver side, got the bolt out and put new strap in. I could have left the old one and backed it with a new nut to back up the slightly damaged thread on old one I drilled out. But... I figured why not. I will post full photos once I get the whole thing done and organized thread.

FYI, with project now complete, yes, partial body lift is possible and needed to remove the small fuel tank strap closest to the front of truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom