Partial ATF Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am about to be splitting my time between the 100 and 80 forum. I have 97 LX450 in route as I write. Super excited about it. I’ve spent the last week reading through the forum to learn as much as I can. I thought I would share an easy way to do partial ATF changes. I have read the A/T cooler hose way of doing a complete flush.

Since I also own a 100 I have been accustomed to doing a partial ATF change at each oil change.

Back in my boating days I have a Jabsco Oil Change Pump that I used to change the oil in my motors. I love this thing. Stick the tub down the dipstick hole, flip the switch one way to suck it out into one gallon jug, fill a second gallon jug with fresh fluid to the same level as what to pulled out and pour back down the dipstick tube.

47983FE3-297F-4F29-B7F7-1D97BA7AA3AD.png

$150. Pump has impeller that can be changed if/when it wears out. Well worth the money.

83053ED0-CD71-4C0B-B051-E3E059D75E79.jpeg

Here’s a picture of what is heading my way. One owner, 140k miles. Excited!

Nice score, that's a beauty.

Just curious as to why you're doing partial ATF changes at every oil change?

All over the 100 forum there is a general consensus to do partial changes to preserve the longevity of the tranny. The rule of thumb is to change a small amount frequently instead of “shocking” the unit with completely new fluid. There’s so much voodoo surrounding transmission fluid you never know what to believe but it is a bit comforting to k ow the fluid is always pristine red. I bought mine from the original owner who only changed it once. It had 130k on the dial when I got it. It had moderate N->P and 1->2 bumps. I did a series of partial changes every 3k until I was comfortable. Then every 7,500. It takes less than 10 minutes to do it with the jabsco unit and is so easy I never think twice about it.

About every other oil change I pull the transmission drain plug and it drops right about 1 gallon. So then I top it off with right about 1 gallon. No extra tools required.

About every other oil change I pull the transmission drain plug and it drops right about 1 gallon. So then I top it off with right about 1 gallon. No extra tools required.

Same here

I've never been a fan of complete flushes whether it be by machine or using the hose/bucket method.

After seeing many trannies on their last leg fail drastically after doing a flush, I'd prefer to just do frequent drain and fills and let the system gradually get fresh fluid over time.

I do the same drain the pan and refill every other oil change. Haven’t had any issues.

I just did the ole’ drain and fill today. It dumped out a little over a gallon. Has worked for me the 10 years I’ve had my rig. 330,XXX miles and still runs like a champ.

Did you buy that 80 on ebay from some seller called european cars or something like that?

Any issues with doing the partial method and using Synthetic? Not sure what type of ATF I currently have.

I did buy it from European Cars on eBay. Don’t flame me about the amount paid. I know it was a lot. Only 140k, one owner and pristine condition. I know I overpaid but have been watching them for so long I have been waiting for the right one to come along with the mileage/condition I wanted. I watch his cars in particular because of the unique collection he has. I am selling my 2000 Land Rover Disco on eBay right now to make room for the Lexus. My wife only allows me a limited amount of play vehicles. I am now held to the “one in one out” agreement.

I own a company that sells automotive detail supplies and have to impress customers with how great my products work. 😜

Not criticizing at all the price you paid but I recall that his cars are not what they appear to be. Lots of spray paint and touch ups on photos. Im interested to see what it actually looks like when you take delivery. Im hoping it is nice but as Ive seen in the past, its unlikely.

Now you have me very interested in what it looks like! 😬 It looks like an honest representation. I had him email additional photos. I'll keep yall posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom