Part Time 4 Wheel Drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed the marks adaptors part time kit with the hd avm hubs. The only reason i did so is i was informed it will help with gear changes as the h150 seemed to dislike changing gear at all times.

It worked, and now changes gear perfectly fine, hard to get into second when its cold, but my shifting improved drastically after the install.

I'm happy i installed it just for that reason alone.

In all higher mileage manual toyota transmissions I had the hard 1-2 when cold. Redline MT90 made a big difference in the W56 and R150’s.

In all higher mileage manual toyota transmissions I had the hard 1-2 when cold. Redline MT90 made a big difference in the W56 and R150’s.

500k km, so i guess im classed as high mileage. will try the redline next change of oils. thanks for the recommendation.

I'm glad I did my part time install. I wouldn't have paid someone to do it.
Im very OCD about things especially mileage. Did I buy a Cruiser expecting good milage? Of course not. I'm not surprised people don't see a slight increase in mileage. Very few people actually know how to do milage tests properly.
Does it make a difference in city driving? I don't care about that. I do care about the extra distance I get on long trips. I also love when people try and do the math for the extra mileage savings, off setting the part time cost, then using that as an excuse for not doing it. Nothing we do on these vehicles breaks us even. None of us drives the same.
It steers easier in the mountains but has a crap ton of body roll. Guess I didn't do it to become a track car.

Bottom line. I get farther on long highway trips and the steering is smoother. I love modding things. To me this is the best platform to mod for what "I like to do". It amuses me to read threads like this. Instead of saying "I did this and this is what I see", they post, "I would never do this because someone else said it was bad and he has a U-Tube channel", "I won't do it because it wont pay for itself". If you haven't actually done something and actually did testing how do you know if it worked for your driving style?

Last edited:
Forgot to add. I had to level out my rear panhard rod. without the front pulling, I was unstable over 70mph. It should have been at the correct angle anyway. This made me fix that sooner.

I like the math to spend the coin to convert to part time to save gas.

Estimating that it REALLY does save gas, let's say it improves it 5%. On a truck that's getting 15 MPG, then that's an increase of 0.75 MPG.

The average annual vehicle mileage in the USA is 12,000 miles per year and I'm guessing most of these rigs are in the 10K range (I am unusual at closer to 20K)

So, assuming 10K/ year at 15 MPG, then that is 666.67 Gallons/ year.
Assuming 10K/ year at 15.75 MPG, then that's 634.92 gallons/yr.

So, annual difference of 31.75 gallons/yr. Let's push the envelope and say gas is $3.00/gallon (premium high octane). That's $95.25/year payback.

So, if the part time kit is $2500 if dealer installed (or parts plus your labor) and I assume this is actually low, considering front hubs, transfer case rebuild, changing out stuff just because.....

That's a 26.25 year payback to break even.

That sounds like it's worth it!

Go hug a tree!

Cool factor = Priceless!

I like the math to spend the coin to convert to part time to save gas.

Estimating that it REALLY does save gas, let's say it improves it 5%. On a truck that's getting 15 MPG, then that's an increase of 0.75 MPG.

The average annual vehicle mileage in the USA is 12,000 miles per year and I'm guessing most of these rigs are in the 10K range (I am unusual at closer to 20K)

So, assuming 10K/ year at 15 MPG, then that is 666.67 Gallons/ year.
Assuming 10K/ year at 15.75 MPG, then that's 634.92 gallons/yr.

So, annual difference of 31.75 gallons/yr. Let's push the envelope and say gas is $3.00/gallon (premium high octane). That's $95.25/year payback.

So, if the part time kit is $2500 if dealer installed (or parts plus your labor) and I assume this is actually low, considering front hubs, transfer case rebuild, changing out stuff just because.....

That's a 26.25 year payback to break even.

That sounds like it's worth it!

Go hug a tree!

Cool factor = Priceless!
Another consideration when doing the math is interest. If you kept the $2500 at 5% interest you would have over 10,000 in 24 years. That’s $400 per year payback. Or over a hundred gallons of fuel or 1500 miles traveled. Not sure about the cool factor. Seems pretty cool that the truck works so well in 4WD/AWD?

it also gives you the ability to use low range just at the rear if you have to tow somthing large onroad. Towing this boat in stop start trafic the trans gets hot in hi range, dont know its there in low
2016-01-06 18.10.08.jpg

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the info! I had never heard of Andre St. Pierre White before. Feel like I have some YouTube binge watching to do.
Yup. 👍 ASPW is a great source as are his mechanics in South Africa. They build these things daily and carry well-sussed opinions on a lot of 'popular' mods that may or may not be worth it.
The part-time conversion is not one of their recommended mods.
ASPW also covers some great cabin electrical wiring topics and layouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom