Part ID? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmamj

SILVER Star
Threads
Can someone ID this? Came in a bin of extra parts from a 40 and I have no idea what it is for. Apologies for my ignorance gents.
15122601032641334734783.jpg

I have never seen that part. More than a WAG it's not stock.

Sure looks like the captured nut plate for a door hinge or similar. As it is normally "captured" behind a body panel or inside a door shell they are not seen loose like this. As my '74 is 900 miles away at the moment I can't look and see where it might normally live.

Nick

If 65swb45 of Mark’s Offroad says it’s not Landcruiser, it’s a good bet it’s not. Have you figured out if the nuts are SAE or Metric?

Thanks for the replies. Checked the doors and hole dimensions don't match up. Here's an odd thing I just noticed - the nuts are 13mm, but octagon. It's 2 3/4" across the base. 65swb45, probably not stock, but now my curiosity is really up. Gonna be on a mission to figure it out. Reverse side is stamped XBL or XBD- tough to tell, plus it's got four connecting circles. Probably should have included all this in the first post. Two more pics below.

20171203_055343.jpg

20171203_055324.jpg

GA, great clue! Didn't think about the Audi logo at all. Armed with that and a little persistence, I think the mystery is solved: ball joint locking plate for an older model Volkswagon or Audi. It makes sense, because among all the FJ parts was an old VW seatbelt. Previous owner must have had a few projects going at once (sounds familiar). Thanks again all. Time to go inspect the 40 and make sure there are no VW parts tainting it!

I knew I had seen one of those before. I have an 2001 VW Golf and Jetta wagon plus used to race a '85ish Golf GTI...and have replaced the lower control arms/ball joints a few times over the years on all of them.

Nick

I knew I had seen one of those before. I have an 2001 VW Golf and Jetta wagon plus used to race a '85ish Golf GTI...and have replaced the lower control arms/ball joints a few times over the years on all of them.

Nick

I guess 'The 24 Hours of LEMONS ' is technically considered a race.:hillbilly:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom