Part ID, please... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be searching for this part (used in good condition) as soon as I know what it is called. It is a cowl or cover for part of the steering? assembly under the hood of my '85 FJ60. 2nd photo is the piece that it covers Thank you!!
IMG_20201114_093226.jpg
IMG_20201114_094034.jpg

I think it’s called a ‘Protector’ maybe but yeah, it covers the yoke where the steering column meets the gear box. This link should help you make sense of it.

I think it’s called a ‘Protector’ maybe but yeah, it covers the yoke where the steering column meets the gear box. This link should help you make sense of it.
Thanks a ton for that! Apparently it's two parts, an upper and a lower. Found a lower on ebay and what looks like both pieces at CruiserParts. Pretty reasonable cost too. I'm on it!

It acts as a heat shield for the steering u-joint. When I bought my truck it was missing, and the u-joint was sloppy. Pain in the @ss to install, but it has a purpose.

It acts as a heat shield for the steering u-joint. When I bought my truck it was missing, and the u-joint was sloppy. Pain in the @ss to install, but it has a purpose.
Thanks for that info...yeah, the mechanic said it wasn't absolutely necessary but better with than without...

It might be the biggest pain in the ass in history. Mine is currently on the shelf because I gave up and went without.

It's a heat shield, but Toyota does call it a 'Protector' ... There's a Top and Bottom part, and occasionally I see them. You might ask in the parting section.

It might be the biggest pain in the ass in history. Mine is currently on the shelf because I gave up and went without.
Shoot...looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking. Fortunately the used parts were fairly cheap if I have to give up...

I'd coat with a few layers of hi-temp silver before you install, after you find the lower, that is.

Patience. Come at it from the wheel well with the wheel removed. Carefully get one screw started a few turns and then use the second screw to make sure everything is lined up and get it started a few turns once you find it. You do have to do the one closest to the rear almost blind. But just just your Jedi intuition you’ve developed working on that exhaust and you’ll nail it. Lol I’ve gotten good at this... using a box wrench works best. It’s just slow going.

Patience. Come at it from the wheel well with the wheel removed. Carefully get one screw started a few turns and then use the second screw to make sure everything is lined up and get it started a few turns once you find it. You do have to do the one closest to the rear almost blind. But just just your Jedi intuition you’ve developed working on that exhaust and you’ll nail it. Lol I’ve gotten good at this... using a box wrench works best. It’s just slow going.
I would hope to have an advantage since the body has been removed from the chassis...plus the motor is out.

It's the bottom half that's difficult WITH the steering shaft/box in place. It's a snap the way you have it. Just remember to install bottom half before steering linkage, then top goes on later and that's just a couple easy bolts. There's also a rubber boot over that section of the linkage slip yoke (what the heat shield is there to protect). That boot is NLA, but I've seen people use substitutes that have been posted in some threads, possibly from other Toyotas.

This might be it:

1605397527983.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom