Parking on slight hill is causing hard starting . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My drive way has a slight angle up hill . If I leave it set for 2 days without driving and then start it it kind of sounds like Its not getting oil into the pistons . It sounds like its out of time but as soon as I back it up and get level it stops and it runs normal . Is there a pump that shoots oil into the piston area that might not be working or is week ? As long as its level ground and I start it . I can not start it for days and it starts right up . What should I be looking at in the engine ? I have a 1997 lx450

Last edited:
There is only one oil pump, it's low at the front of the engine, it's pick up tube goes all the way to the bottom of the lower pan.
Just out of curiosity: What happens if you back in and have the front end pointed down?
What does your oil pressure gauge tell you when pointed nose up when starting?

There is only one oil pump, it's low at the front of the engine, it's pick up tube goes all the way to the bottom of the lower pan.
Just out of curiosity: What happens if you back in and have the front end pointed down?
What does your oil pressure gauge tell you when pointed nose up when starting?
I haven't tried backing in yet . I usually park in the garage but I pulled it out while I work on my mx5 . Its the first time I've had it out since and on the hill in over a year but I remember it did the same thing last year so I part it on the level part of the drive way after it does that . I will move it back to nose up tomorrow and let it set all day and check the pressure gauge when I start it ,and after that I will back it in ans see that that does . Thanks for trying to help me . I will let you know what I find out . What should the pressure gauge read at when its started . It set for 2 days without starting it not 1. Is there a test I can do to see if the oil pump is pumping like it should ?

My guess would be you have a aftermarket oil filter on it, put the toyota filter on it and it will stop. The oil is draining back out of your filter causing the noise.

My guess would be you have a aftermarket oil filter on it, put the toyota filter on it and it will stop. The oil is draining back out of your filter causing the noise.
Thanks I will do that . I have 180,000 on the engine . What oil should I be using ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom