Parking brake repair question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there. I'm trying to fix a problem with my 91 80series that has a parking brake problem. It looks like the wire that goes from the back-center of the truck to my passenger back wheel has snapped, and is dangling. I am trying to figure out how far I should replace to get my brakes working. It is pretty rusty on the back of the hub, as you can see.
I did the brake shoes last year, so they are okay. I didn't really mess with the parking brake assembly.
I'm not sure even how these parts get sold, if you have to buy every individual piece, or are they in kits. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0731.jpg

Follow the link, that particular dealer has all the pics for the various assemblies so you can see what you are missing/wanting/desperately needing, and they link to the part numbers. They are not the cheapest place to buy from, but they sure make it convenient.

hey thanks...I will review this.

I don’t mean to hi-jack this thread, (thinking more of a piggy-back !!)

I have moved my rear axel back a few inches, has anybody extended their e-brake line(s) ?

Last edited:
I don’t mean to hi-jack this thread, (thinking more of a piggy-back !!)

I have moved my rear axel back a few inches, has anybody extended their e-brake line(s) ?
If you don't get any results specifically about LC 's, we have used a company that makes custom cables when we were building my son's 70 GMC.

We sent the original parking brake cable for reference and advised that we wanted the same thing except 2-1/2" longer. Fit of the new ones was perfect. I'm sure you could do the same for these.

www.inlinetube.com

Call and talk to a human.

Or you could just buy a swaging tool and do it yourself...

so could use some additional help on how difficult it will be to replace just the wire. I'm guessing that if I want to have a custom length wire created for the one brake, with the clamp on the end..I would need to have that fabricated. I purchased from rockauto, a full baking setup that is supposed to work on my cruiser. I don't think I can remove the one wire from this whole harness, as the ends are clamped in, and can not be removed. I was trying to follow the whole harness setup for replacing the whole thing, but it looks like it goes over the gas tank, so I don't really want to try dealing with that myself. I know that someone has mentioned a scaling tool, to be able to make the cable. Is that going to be the best way to not have to do the whole harness?

IMG_0785.jpg

Is it attached to the frame or body over the gas tank? If it's free up there you could use the old one to snake the new one through.

so could use some additional help on how difficult it will be to replace just the wire. I'm guessing that if I want to have a custom length wire created for the one brake, with the clamp on the end..I would need to have that fabricated. I purchased from rockauto, a full baking setup that is supposed to work on my cruiser. I don't think I can remove the one wire from this whole harness, as the ends are clamped in, and can not be removed. I was trying to follow the whole harness setup for replacing the whole thing, but it looks like it goes over the gas tank, so I don't really want to try dealing with that myself. I know that someone has mentioned a scaling tool, to be able to make the cable. Is that going to be the best way to not have to do the whole harness?

View attachment 3138940
What's a scaling tool? The cable goes over the tank between the handbrake in the front and the Y-connector in the back. It falls into a slot on both ends. There's nothing to it. as @Rusty Marlin said, tie a string on one end and pull it through. Installation is the reverse of disassembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom