Parking Brake Rebuild Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
It looks like I may need to rebuild our parking brake. The typical question is "how far should I go while I'm in there." Currently, I'm not seeing any signs of leaking gear oil from the outside, but it seems that at a minimum I should replace the seal. Should I just suck it up and get a double seal kit and plan on replacing the housing as long as I'm in there? What about extra shims? Is there a preferred vendor for buying a parking brake rebuild kit, double seal kit and extra shims? I've read where some folks have had to grind the brake shoes to fit. Any other parts that I should have on hand before the deep dive?
Thanks everyoune!

Nice job, it looks like you did it while it was on the ground…….”regular guy style”
My goal is to have a lift soon but I still have to work from the ground so it gives me a little motivation to believe others accomplish these jobs the same way.

Springs flipped. Thanks @mrboatman Good catch!

11.01.2022.Spring Flip.1.jpg

Just curious, did you add any FIPG to the shaft before you installed the E-brake assembly.

I pirated this from another build. Getting ready to do the same.

249492A6-DBC2-47C6-900A-3288CF2E8D5E.jpeg

7FB7767D-63E4-447E-8658-C9D599A82B73.jpeg

84C31CB1-5560-4E9C-B6A4-8A28853BA89C.jpeg

Yes, Reddish Brown FIPG 00295-01281. However, I didn't put on quite as much as shown in the photo. For good measure, I also applied some grease to the outer shaft of the drum where it comes in contact with the seals.

Day late, and a dollar short, as the saying goes. Looks like you’ve got this ‘handled’ Mark. I could have set you up with a dual seal kit as well. And I have a couple of NOS parking brake drums that wouldn’t have required a speedi sleeve. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom