Parking Brake Pads/adjustment

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by fjatheart, Feb 11, 2009.

1. fjatheart

fjatheart

1980 FJ-40 has the Parking Brake mounted on the back side of the T-case, inbetween the t-case and rear drive shaft. I'm replace the pads/shoes along with the T-case boot behind the brake. I have the service manuals and know how to take it apart and put it back together. My concern is being able to adjust it properly, so it applies pressure when I need it and not locking up when I don't,

Any pointers on setting this up correctly the first time so I'm not taking it all apart mutiple times?

Thanks for any input in doing this job.

2. grant5127

grant5127

Back-off the adjuster at the the pull handle, turn the 10mm headed adjuster @ the back of the baking plate counterclockwise till a slight drag is felt on the rotating drum then fine tune it at the pull handle adjuster..........

3. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ."

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All:

X2 what "Grant" wrote!

In proper adjustment (and with non-oil soaked brake pads) the t-case mounted parking brake works well.

Regards,

Alan

4. fjatheart

fjatheart

Thanks guys. I had no idea where to go once the parts were installed. I feel like the MUD prostitute sometimes with all the info I take from this forum. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.