Parking brake leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before I disassembled my 40 it had no leaks. When I pulled the engine/tranny/transfer case out of the frame and sat in on my garage floor it leaked some oil out of the parking brake drum. It was titling towards the rear when I hoisted it out. Would that seem normal or should I look to replace that seal?

If it’s out and on the floor, replace it. Better there then installed and laying o you back with transfer case goo running down your arm.....

If it’s out and on the floor, replace it. Better there then installed and laying o you back with transfer case goo running down your arm.....
I would agree with you…the only thing is that The seal is basically like new and the shaft is clean. The only thing I saw was that flat washer/spacer was a little bent when I pulled it out. Other than that it looks good unless I’m missing something.
DB71DA0C-7DC4-43BA-BCAD-3A5AA00BB5E0.jpeg
BA881C2E-E011-4BF6-B6DE-B4AF72CEAB50.jpeg
C6A58089-B21B-4491-820E-B483C716046D.jpeg
F000DCDC-94D4-4355-BCB9-0B8575C99AC7.jpeg

There is a “speedy sleeve” on the drum....is it tight on the hub? I looks like it’s pushed to far forward, is the seal riding on the sleeve or on the hub.

If it’s loose, it’ll leak. You can seal it up with with Loctite. Also the splines can leak, use a bit of silicon form-a-gasket on the splines when assembling.

There is a “speedy sleeve” on the drum....is it tight on the hub? I looks like it’s pushed to far forward, is the seal riding on the sleeve or on the hub.

If it’s loose, it’ll leak. You can seal it up with with Loctite. Also the splines can leak, use a bit of silicon form-a-gasket on the splines when assembling.
Thanks Mark, great info I’ll check it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom