parking brake drum? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys! I'm in the process of updating and redoing the v8 conversion on my 1973 fj40. After losing 1st gear in two Toyota 3speed I found a sm465 mated to a fj40 transfer case for a reasonable price and picked up a new set of motor and trans/t case mounts from a nice guy that goes buy the name Downey. PO had not taken the time or cost to do many of the little thing correctly in my option or yours from what I have read here so I fixing those things!
I hope you guys done mind an old rooky asking question along the way during this journey!
So here is my latest question, The parking brake drum that came off the new to me t case was had not been use when it was in what ever rig it was in as it did not have any shoes or other parts inside when I took it off the case but its not in bad shape.
The drum I removed from the T case that was on my fj40 is also not in bad shape but does have a speedy sleeve installed.
Now to the question when I look at the two drum they are different. I'm thinking that it a model year issue.
I don't know the year of the new to me t case and I believe that the one from my rig is a 1973 vintage.
The question is, is one a better option then the other and are they interchangeable? the one on the right is from the new to me t case and the left one is off my 73.
Thanks for your help.
fj40 parking brake drum.jpg

Check the size and spacing of the studs that the driveshaft shaft bolts to. If they are the same should be good to go with either. Also on the right side of the transfer case housing is a fat spot towards the back. Should have a date code and serial number stamped into it.

Thanks Living in the past! I did find the fat spot but my research said that there should be a three digit date
20201121_183849.jpg
code but as you see this one only has two. if I use the two it would be march of 1975 I think.

Welcome to Mud!

Looks the newer tcase is from behind a 4 speed. There are a few differences, but for your swap I think it will be the bolt pattern for the driveshaft.
@Living in the Past can probably rattle off others.

Don't forget to check out the local forum here as well:

the places not three digits.
year number
month letter
big number is the sequential number of the castings made that month.

if it's a 3/75 transfer, it likely has the lower low ranch gearing found in the so called three speed transfers.

No, it doesn't have the yummy 2.3 low range, but the 74 through mid 75 T-case do have the adapter input gear that allows putting a 73-earlier case behind a 4 speed.

the places not three digits.
year number
month letter
big number is the sequential number of the castings made that month.

if it's a 3/75 transfer, it likely has the lower low ranch gearing found in the so called three speed transfers.
No, it doesn't have the yummy 2.3 low range, but the 74 through mid 75 T-case do have the adapter input gear that allows putting a 73-earlier case behind a 4 speed.

Think it's been commonly thought the narrower gears in the early four speed transfer case had the lower gearing. I know I did. The idler gear and low range output gear have different part numbers. From what I can tell if you count the teeth in the low range output gear should be able to tell what you have. If the higher geared four speed will have forty teeth. Three speed will have forty three.

There is a difference in the out put shaft seal. You will need to measure the diameter of the sealing surface on the drum and match to the appropriate seal. The bore diameter for the seal is the same so no issues interchanging drums.

Thanks guys for all the great feed back!
If I use this attached photo then it appears that the new to me t case is a 67-69 vintage as it matches that one in casting. So I still don't understand the stampings. So I will check the diameter on the sealing surfaces and go from there.
Buy the way I did not put the blue marking on this photo they were on it when I downloaded it.
cases1-b.jpg

The picture is not correct. The 4bolt rear PTO cover is E-62.
If the T-case is stamped 5C and has 6bolt rear cover, it could be March '65 or March '75.

The picture is not correct. The 4bolt rear PTO cover is E-62.
If the T-case is stamped 5C and has 6bolt rear cover, it could be March '65 or March '75.

If the March 65 still has the original parking brake drum the stud to mount the driveshaft will be smaller.

FJ40Jim, with what you said my "new to me" case must be a 65 as it does not have any of the beefed up casing as can be seen in the blue circles on the 70+ cases.
Thanks.

So to all, the 65 case is presently mated to a sm465 but I do have the 73 case. Should I go ahead and use the 65 or is there any strong reason for me to use the 73 case? Both are in good shape as far as I can tell!

You might look around for a '"case saver". My early 3 speed T/C has held up for 20 something years behind a Toy Box and sm420/sbc combo. Knock on wood :hillbilly:

That's the one. Now I'm using one that's a little longer to incorporate my toy box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom