Parking brake discovery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Meant to post this way back in April, but got it back together with your help and its working great now . Thanks a ton to all posters.
Finishing up power steering now...

H

PS I let most of the gear oil prior to the pull, just got in a hurry ;)

image.jpeg

It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like you're missing the big nut that holds it all on. The little slots are there to pound the edge of the nut into to prevent loosening. The official name eludes me.

It's called "staking the nut" The part driven into the grooves is the "stake" or "stakes"

The hub of the drum slides over the output spline and the oil seal runs on that, as soon as you pull the drum off the oil will escape.
It's probably best to drain the transfercase first :)

I will be working on my soon. So, first thing to do is pull the hub to open it up, right? Instant mess if gear oil isn't drained?

I ordered my brakes/seal and dust cap from JT Outfitters. It was a good deal and I called it into Joe and got way better priority shipping price than ordering online. He ordered some extra oem toyota dust boots $4.50 and mine was so gone..Well actually the hole was plugged with a mix of original rotted dust boot, ancient gear lube stirred in with
I just finished mine as well. didn't realize the bottom spring had to go in the back makes sense now I see it may restrict the cam. anyone use the dust cover in the back from sor? is an OEM one available from Toyota? View attachment 1240449 View attachment 1240450
decades of dirt. Yea, it's a good part to replace.

I will be working on my soon. So, first thing to do is pull the hub to open it up, right? Instant mess if gear oil isn't drained?

Yes, simply drain transfer gear lube, you will have stinkin' gear lube all over the floor if you don't

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom