Parking Brake Bellcrank Travel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just did new parking brake shoes as part of a rear hub service. The parking brake worked ok before the service. Not amazing, but held on hills. The new shoes were installed and adjusted with the star wheel (didn't play with the bellcrank). After the service, the parking brake is horrible cant hold on hills at all. After pulling it apart, it appears the strut at the top of the shoes is too short for the new raybestos shoes. The bellcrank needs to travel ~70% of its motion before the shoes start to move off the top stop peg. There is about 3mm between the end of the strut and the rear shoe so most of the motion is just closing that gap. I've seen some mention of extended length struts that address this. Is that really the way to go? It seems surprising to need to change out that part, but everything is installed correctly as best I can tell. If I were to adjust the bellcrank per the FSM to take out the linkage slop it would be the max or beyond the adjustment of the adjuster on the bellcrank so there is an issue.

If the handbrake worked before changing the shoes, and doesn't work with the new shoes, then it is logical to assume that the new shoes are not correct for the application, or the setup is wrong.

Everything is correct install wise. It just appears the cut outs for the upper strut bar in the new shoes is a little deeper. Unfortunately I tossed the old shoes to measure. Measuring the new setup I’d need to add 0.150in to the strut bar to allow the bell crank to be 0 slop at mid adjustment.

It appears something like this would address it. I need to take up ~3.8mm of additional length and these are 4mm longer.

Im surprised the raybestos shoes don’t fit better. I think the old ones were original Toyota’s, but brake shoes are hardly rocket science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom