Parking brake - aftermarket tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this a little while back - guy said we put a 5-speed tranny in for an extra gear for highway … then after explains other things about the car said and we have never been able to get larking brake to work…

Mia that because he changed transmissions and now the one he put in doesn’t have a parking brake cable inlet ?

what year 40?
what engine?
how about some pics of the trans and transfer?
on a rig that is 1980 or older, the stock park brake is on the rear output of the transfer case not anywhere on the transmision.
on 1981 and newer the parkbrake is on the rear axle, atleast for US spec rigs

if it is an H55 attached to a 2F, it will have a splitcase transfer case. there are kits available to install a stock drum brake setup on a splitcase, but it requires tearing down the transfer case and re-assembling with different parts.

what year 40?
what engine?
how about some pics of the trans and transfer?
on a rig that is 1980 or older, the stock park brake is on the rear output of the transfer case not anywhere on the transmision.
on 1981 and newer the parkbrake is on the rear axle, atleast for US spec rigs

if it is an H55 attached to a 2F, it will have a splitcase transfer case. there are kits available to install a stock drum brake setup on a splitcase, but it requires tearing down the transfer case and re-assembling with different parts.
76 … I got under there and isn’t see any outlet

EF5273FF-FD8C-4614-8B37-31C133083B8C.jpeg

Yeah so… your parking brake doesn’t work because you don’t have one. Simple as that

that is a split case transfer case.
you have some work to do to get a park brake, but it is doable

To be clear that is not an aftermarket transmission. Toyota used those in the 60 and 70 series. Also in short and mid wheel 40 series. Never in the US and never in long wheel base. Those still had a four speed and those hand the hand brake on the transfer case. Because of the torque tube behind the transfer case clearance is a issue with a H55F five speed. 8/80 hand brake moved to the rear axle. There are aftermarket options some with mixed reviews. Using Toyota parts the transfer case option is cheaper. Three parts are different the rest are the same as those used on earlier one piece transfer cases. For reference I sold a few of the three different parts for a friend in Australia for $550. That was before Covid and crazy shipping prices. Might be a more now. 8/80+ 40 series axles are easier to add but finding the axle is hard and seen go in the a$1K range.

I have the split case on my 40 and I'm in the same situation.

I have a line lock installed but am aiming to get a working mechanical brake as well.

I just ordered the TSM parking brake kit...seems like the cheapest route unless swapping rear ends....the Toyota Parts seem harder to find and more expensive.

I just need to figure out what cable to use now.

Please post up what you find out, I am in the same position with a 5 speed and split case. Have been using a wheel chuck for a while but do want a real parking brake.

I will. He’s the man, so I’ll let you know what happens. I have that and emissions issues - ugh … but hey we love our 40’s !

I have the split case on my 40 and I'm in the same situation.

I have a line lock installed but am aiming to get a working mechanical brake as well.

I just ordered the TSM parking brake kit...seems like the cheapest route unless swapping rear ends....the Toyota Parts seem harder to find and more expensive.

I just need to figure out what cable to use now.
I would send the TSM back. They don't work very well

The Wilwood mc4 mechanical parking brake calipers seem like they "should" work on the rear disks.
This is the full kit:

But if you can do fabrication (I don't) each caliper is about $130 at Summit Racing.

I would do that and pay @GLTHFJ60 to do the install :)
That would work better then OEM drum on the splitcase for sure.
you could put those calipers on all four if you wanted.

I'm in the same boat. I actually have an aus full float rear end but it has rear disc's with the El Dorado calibers. I'm thinking of ordering the same calibers with the parking brake feature. Unless those wildwood are the same bolt spacing.

I would send the TSM back. They don't work very well
Are you aware TSM has an upgraded caliper with more clamping power. It looks like may only be available for FJ60 split case. Not sure what is different between the 40 and 60 cases other than a move to rear axle parking brake after a certain year.

Are you aware TSM has an upgraded caliper with more clamping power. It looks like may only be available for FJ60 split case. Not sure what is different between the 40 and 60 cases other than a move to rear axle parking brake after a certain year.
The original style don't clamp down enough to hold a 40 from rolling. Hopefully the newer style works better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom