parking brake adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello have had issues with my parking brake for some time; dealership would constantly adjust for me when in for regular maintence. Out of warranty now and need to do this myself. Problem I'm having is that the cable seems to be loosening (once parked on an incline and the parking brake set after car is in park the car will roll a little and at times makes a groaning) i have a toyota lubricant part number 00530-1pl00 which works for the groaning and rattle but fell I may need to brake out the tools. Any suggestions??

I need to tighten mine up. It doesn't do anything, if I park downhill I turn the car into the curb or put the bumper on a tree (if offroad)... for those that went to Uwharrie you know what I am talking about.

Trunk Monkey said:
Something else is wrong if your parking brake needs adjustment that often. Download the FSM and begin troubleshooting.

I have the same issue. If someone figures out why it needs to be constantly retightened I would love to know why.

Its the nature of the beast if you want the parking brake to work optimally. 80's are very similar. Star wheel adjust about every 6-12 months on mine to keep it adjusted properly. Unlike GM, etc. these don't self adjust when reversing...

at least it sounds like y'all are using your p-brake. I can't believe the number of folks who just rely on the parking pall to hold the vehicle. I try to never leave the tranny loaded. here's what I do: shift up to N. Apply p-brake. Release foot brake, allowing rear drums to take the load. Then move the rest of the way to P. Never have the trans 'pop' after being parked using that method.

Same here OregonLC. I don't use it often enough to justify the time I spend keeping it properly adjusted! As with the driveline clunk/compression issue I've never experienced this problem with any other vehicle I've owned; and I've owned my fair share over the years. IMO even when its properly adjusted it leaves a bit to be desired with respect to being able to reliably hold the vehicle :rolleyes:

My friend CruiserDrew told me the 60/62 Series parking brake actually works :lol: And the 80-Series is similar to our 100-Series in terms of being not such a good reliable emergency and/or parking brake (and requiring the requisite attention once or twice a year).

Same here OregonLC. I don't use it often enough to justify the time I spend keeping it properly adjusted! As with the driveline clunk/compression issue I've never experienced this problem with any other vehicle I've owned; and I've owned my fair share over the years. IMO even when its properly adjusted it leaves a bit to be desired with respect to being able to reliably hold the vehicle :rolleyes:

My friend CruiserDrew told me the 60/62 Series parking brake actually works :lol: And the 80-Series is similar to our 100-Series in terms of being not such a good reliable emergency and/or parking brake (and requiring the requisite attention once or twice a year).

interesting. mine is a fricken anchor!

for some time i've had an annoying rattle from the rear passenger side which I could never figure out then abut 2 years ago along with the dealership tech we found it to be the parking brake. Lubricating it fixed the rattle but it keeps coming back hence the can of toyota lubricant. as for the parking brake adjustment I woulld say about every 6 months it becomes loose and needs to be re tightened. attached is the pic of the area that I spray to stop the rattle.
photo_2.JPG

forgot to add this that I did repalce entire parking brake cable etc aprox 1 1/2 year. looks horrible from living in the northeast with all the winter spray stuff used up here for the snow

You need to replace your bell cranks and springs. Not only do you get a dissimilar metals reaction there with the aluminum pin, but those are rusted to all hell. If you've been dragging the pads then you may look at replacing them, but you'd have to work to wear down parking brake pads.

for some time i've had an annoying rattle from the rear passenger side which I could never figure out then abut 2 years ago along with the dealership tech we found it to be the parking brake. Lubricating it fixed the rattle but it keeps coming back hence the can of toyota lubricant. as for the parking brake adjustment I woulld say about every 6 months it becomes loose and needs to be re tightened. attached is the pic of the area that I spray to stop the rattle.
View attachment 528482

Where exactly did you spray? I have this exact issue.. it's like a rattle over small bumps or a bunch of small bumps it's a really annoying rattle..

Where exactly did you spray? I have this exact issue.. it's like a rattle over small bumps or a bunch of small bumps it's a really annoying rattle..

You're going to spray the parts that move.

The parking brake absolutely needs annual maintenance. Particularly with the effects of a brake booster failure looming.

Take apart the system, shoes out, clean and lube everything. Particularly the bellcrank needs cleaning, and fill the bellcrank boot with ceramic grease (has to be non-metallic) that will withstand both heat and water. When adjusting, it's important to follow the FSM carefully, even though it seems to be illogical at first. On mine, driving in salt-slush half the year, I have to fit new adjustable stopper bolts at the ends of the cranks every 2-3 years. Maybe I should try stainless next time.

..... On mine, driving in salt-slush half the year, I have to fit new adjustable stopper bolts at the ends of the cranks every 2-3 years. Maybe I should try stainless next time.

Try brushing the stopper bolt threads with Copper antiseize every so often.

And your suggestion for ceramic grease is spot on. Silaramic by CRC here in the US is a good choice.

Mine gets frozen in the "engaged" position. This is when I start to get the cable "rattle" and I have to hammer it back off to get the rattle to stop and MPGs back up :)

Is such regular maintenance of the Ebrake required in non-roadsalt areas?

I can lift 4 clicks but still have the "rattle". From what I can tell, the cable passes through an eyelet around the middle of the axle and makes a noise rattling around that eyelet over bumps. Maybe there was a rubber grommet there at one time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom