Panhard Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How many of you have broke the nut weld on the bottom front panhard rod bolt, the one at the axle connection?

I’ve broke 2 bolts already after soaking them in PB Blaster so I’m a little gun shy on that one. Thanks.

Last edited:
Soak it, if you wish, and rattle it. I’ve never had a problem.

Without knowing what region you live in or the condition of your Rig it's hard to say.
I have not had to PB blast and have not broken any bolt on my Rig but then my Rig is a west coast Rig with zero rust :cool:

Without knowing what region you live in or the condition of your Rig it's hard to say.
I have not had to PB blast and have not broken any bolt on my Rig but then my Rig is a west coast Rig with zero rust :cool:
I’m in Tennessee and the 80 spent most of its life in Colorado. I’ve broke a rear lower shock mount bolt(bolt extractor broke off in bolt) which turned into a nightmare. The other bolt that broke wasn’t too bad but I’m a tad gun shy.

Jealous of the West Coast rig👍🏼

The rear lower shock bolt is probably the worst spot on the rig.
My guess is that the front lower panhard bolt will not be a issue.
PB blast it and give it a go.

The rear lower shock bolt is probably the worst spot on the rig.
My guess is that the front lower panhard bolt will not be a issue.
PB blast it and give it a go.
It wasn’t too bad until the hardened bolt extractor broke off in the bolt. Learned a lot of lessons that day😡

The pan hard rod bolts are pretty large diameter compared to the lower shock mount (only 12mm). The force required to break the pan hard rod bolt is going to be substantial, probably more than your typical 1/2" impact gun can dish out. It's most likely to just not move if it's stuck. I'd soak it good with Kroil or a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF and go for it. When you reassemble use a liberal coating of anti-seize.

My truck is originally from northern Idaho, and shows some rusting from the salt they use up there. When I replaced all of my suspension components I did break one lower shock mount bolt but had no issues with any of the pan hard bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom