Pandemic Preventative Maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I always have a when I get some time to do list.
Replace idler pulley and ac belt
Replace fuel cap, air filter
Install rear taillight from @Deathvalleypaul
Install rear brake pads from @baldilocks
Install new washer nozzles
Not pictured:
Install oil level sensor and p/s reservoir from @slow95z
If it gets real bad I’m gonna pull my headliner and replace or delete my sunroof, install a roof mounted antenna, sound deaden and insulate it.

54C208CD-D2FF-48EA-97C6-9480C7CC32C6.jpeg

I need to fix my fuel gauge, or rather I think it is the sender, also my aux fuel tank has a leak in either the hose feeding it or on the top of the tank at the filler tube to it that I need to resolve. Instead of doing this I built a swing out for the bike rack, but I really need to get on this. Also have a gauge cluster I should swap or modify and an oil pressure gauge that hasnt worked for ever.

I always have a when I get some time to do list.
Replace idler pulley and ac belt
Replace fuel cap, air filter
Install rear taillight from @Deathvalleypaul
Install rear brake pads from @baldilocks
Install new washer nozzles
Not pictured:
Install oil level sensor and p/s reservoir from @slow95z
If it gets real bad I’m gonna pull my headliner and replace or delete my sunroof, install a roof mounted antenna, sound deaden and insulate it.

View attachment 2255177

What is the reason to replace your fuel cap?

Just about everything.

I told myself I wouldn't install my turbo until there are no leaks anywhere on the engine so:
  • oil pump cover and front crank seal
  • upper and lower oil pans
  • dizzy o ring

Other crap kicking around the garage:
  • New rear driveshaft and u joints
  • front pinion seal
  • steering shaft firewall thingy
  • PHH
  • rear heat workaround
  • starter
  • radiator
  • driver side window regulator motor
  • passenger side window run

Non-maintenance:
  • BIOR tube bumper needs some modifications before install
  • Sliders been kicking around for ages--need to make legs and mounts for them
  • Aaaaand install the turbo

Unfortunately/fortunately, I still have to work through this pandemic. Grateful to be self-employed in an "essential business: but I'm going to be pretty distracted working from home. I'm easy to distract.

What is the reason to replace your fuel cap?
It also may not vent properly and work in conjunction with your charcoal canister to control the fuel vapors. That's why the states that do emissions testing test the fuel cap every time.

I change mine every 5 years (approx) because the seals can harden, it will vent more, and the fuel can evaporate out of the tank. I have some OLD cars and the fuel will evaporate out of the tank on those as they sit because the old fuel caps are vented to allow air in (or to allow pressure to vent) while driving so the old mechanical fuel pumps would still work. If they draw and hold a vacuum on the tank, they stop working.

Reactions: RJH
Yesterday:
- thorough spring cleaning
- front brake pads
- oil + filter
- valve adjustment

5E14246A-3229-4D62-A05E-C8BA45BEEEB1.jpeg

Left to do:
- adjust rear brakes
- replace power steering pump
- replace tie rod ends
- adjust steering box
- O2 sensors
- fuel filter
- fuel sock
- wire up spotlights
- split headlights and clean insides
- remove bedliner from body
- repair flares
- touch up some paint
- fix mileage reading in gauge cluster
- address lack of front heat

The list goes on. Great opportunity to get some projects done though. How much more I get done depends on how much longer I’m off work. Also gotta split the attention between the 80, a Datsun 510 and an XJ :D

Looking to clean up the spare tire area since I don't keep one there. Question though, and I believe I know the answer, but is it ok to remove these pieces all together?

The little bar on the left...I'm assuming it's something for the spare tire to fit against so not needed

The piece that houses the spare tire lift mechanism...wasn't sure if it was to stay there for some type of structural support

aABW7rD.png

Yup, you can ditch both of them.

Doing knuckle rebuild but I've been so busy with classwork this week all I've taken off is the caliper :rofl:

Reactions: RJH
Replaced my PHH today because it finally started leaking yesterday.
Not a fun job. Ended up bypassing the metal pipe because it seemed like a more serviceable option. Replaced a few other suspect heater hoses as well. Hopefully no more leaks.

My front ARB bumper finally came today as well so I installed that asap. Really liking it so far. Still have yet to decide on a winch.

Tried removing my spare for the first time (just purchased truck)
Broke tool (after extensive wd40 applications)(just purchased tool lol)
You will laugh at my NE rust on the chain back there
Theres a uhaul tow hitch welded er rusted on too...
I plan to remove the old tire winch, and tow hitch assembly ,.,.so much rust,.,. I'll just carry the spare in the back for now until I order a new winch

The process of budget baselining continues 👍

Help a brotha out with a rust free hood? In black? Lol

I gotta start a wanted thread in the parting out forum

Looking to clean up the spare tire area since I don't keep one there. Question though, and I believe I know the answer, but is it ok to remove these pieces all together?

The little bar on the left...I'm assuming it's something for the spare tire to fit against so not needed

The piece that houses the spare tire lift mechanism...wasn't sure if it was to stay there for some type of structural support

aABW7rD.png

Any chance I could grab your spare winch if tossing? Thx

Tried removing my spare for the first time (just purchased truck)
Broke tool (after extensive wd40 applications)(just purchased tool lol)
You will laugh at my NE rust on the chain back there
Theres a uhaul tow hitch welded er rusted on too...
I plan to remove the old tire winch, and tow hitch assembly ,.,.so much rust,.,. I'll just carry the spare in the back for now until I order a new winch

The process of budget baselining continues 👍

Help a brotha out with a rust free hood? In black? Lol

I gotta start a wanted thread in the parting out forum
Switch from WD40 to PB Blaster. The WD is not a true penetrating oil.

I grew up 3 hours north of Omaha, so I know what rust you're dealing with.

You can remove the entire cross member that holds that tire carrier.

Check with @slow95z to see if he has one to sell. Or @arcteryx.

Any chance I could grab your spare winch if tossing? Thx
Sure, you can have it once it's out. I'll take some pics of the mechanism and PM them to you...it's rusty but it does work.

Sure, you can have it once it's out. I'll take some pics of the mechanism and PM them to you...it's rusty but it does work.
Thanks Orange! You'll have to help me with step 6 of the install lol
I wonder if a bath in evaporust will be safe...I'll check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom