Panasonic Toughbook - Quick review and pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Panasonic Toughbook - Mobile Navigation Quick review and pics

http://homepage.mac.com/hmckee/Radio/Personal5.html

(note the link on the top of the page to additional photos)

Here are some preliminary pics of my new to me (used) Panasonic Toughbook CF-28. A really amazing machine! Primarily being used for navigation, mobile radio programming and control, electronic truck manuals + stored tech web pages, DVD movies, etc.

Running it as stripped down as I can to maximize disk space and operating system speed. I've done a quick check with my GPS and works well with city streets. I haven't tried connection to topo maps yet.

Vey impressed with the overall build quality, usefullness of the touchscreen, the backlit keyboard and its vibration/shock/dust/water protection. I wouldn't want to type a long essay on the keyboard and I wouldn't wnat to have to carry it too far, but aside from that, it is amazing!

Cheers, Hugh

Last edited:
Thanks for your review.

I'm in the market for a laptop to set up similar to that. Your input has been helpful for me.

Hugh;

Ok, ok, I'm now very impressed. Does this gadget come with really good manuals? Where does one get one of these neat gadgets? Is the software proprietary? Of course, its not a mac system, but we can't have everything.

Love ur rig set up, nice work.

My junk looks like this:

http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/RigProj/index.html

k0dar

As far as I know, there is nothing proprietary - they are generic laptops with a much higher build quality and very high quality materials.

Most of these units seem to be available from eBay and, in general, they seem to come completely 'wiped' with no operating system or other software. The operating system is generic Microsoft (I guess you could run Linux?) - either XP or Windows 2000.

I found the operating manuals for the laptop at Panasonic's Canada site (look under support, manuals and then type in 'cf28' - it shows a bunch but they seem to basically all be the same). The drivers, etc are also here. My friend also found a great original brochure, I'm not sure where he got it. If you can't find it on the net, PM me your email and I can send it along.

On eBay, there seem to be a few things to be careful of:

(1) PIII 600MHz versions with smaller HDs. They are also CF28s, but different specs. You can also buy faster versions with bigger HDs, but expect to pay more $$. Again, it seems to run the mapping software quite well with no real problems.

(2) Ones that are shipped without any drive or battery (although I would assume the batteries are toast on any used machine)

(3) Remember that both the touchscreen and the backlit keyboard were options. Seemingly most Police, EMS, etc applications would have these features, but not all the machines have them. Personally, I would NOT buy one without at least the touchscreen if you plan to use this at night in a mobile application. There is also an 'auto adjustable' monitor (which we thought we had, but don't) that was an options that adjusted the brightness based on ambient light.

You also have to factor in other potential costs:

1) Replacing the battery ~$100

2) Buying a used R-CD/DVD ~$130 when you can find them. Or used RW-CD/DVDs for something like $250-$300. Panasonic still sells them new as well. You can buy a dirt cheap, new-in-box Targus external CD/DVD drive that runs off the card slot (and is powered off the slot) for $35. Good if you just need it sometime and don't care about the strength

3) Software

4) Appropriate mount for the laptop ($150 - $250). I have a RAM laptop mount, but I'm not sure that the version I have is strong enough. I may go with a universal Jotto mount.

PS, just to show how tough it really is, my kids were playing with it yesterday (they love the touchscreen) and it's the first laptop that I just said, go nuts! So, 2 x 5 YO and a 2.5 YO just went crazy, all the while driking cups of water, juice, etc!

Cheers, Hugh

I use a CF-29 at work and it is the best computer of any type I have ever used (I used to work in IT too).

Get a touch screen model. The rubberized Keyboard is OK but if you will do much typing and want to be productive (and save wear on your wrists/fingers) then you need to get a keyboard with plastic keys. The machines run standard Windows software and will operate just like a normal machine.

A good microfiber rag and a stylus ( I usually use my pen with point retracted) are also very nice to have.

Good point - for mobile navigation and 'off road use' (spills, rain, etc), I would stick with the full rubber keyboard. If this is going to be your primary laptop, the keys will kill you if you have to type a long essay.

The rest of my group got the laptops last night, so it will be interesting to see what the overall experience is. For the most part I believe everyone is using them for navigation.

Cheers, Hugh

Another note -

On mine the screen is pretty scratched up. Looking into the "stick-on" disposable screen covers may be a good investment. I don't know if they have these for the touchscreen but I've seen them for PDAs.

Of course my computer gets 70+ hours of powered-up road time a week so you may never see this problem. Even if they never get to the point of affecting the functionality a few screen scratches will destroy the resale value of a computer that could otherwise be "like-new" at the end of your expedition.

This is also a good point, the manual notes the same thing. Mine has a protective cover installed on the screen (you can just see the edge in some places) - not sure if they did this at the factory or on delivery.

I just got to play with a colleague's Toughbook last week. He uses it for mult-month field work in Tibet with no problems with HD crashes due to altitude, dust infiltration, etc. There is the problem with the screen scrathing though. The keyboard is not something I would like to do a bunch of typing on, but that is why there are USB keyboards, which I prefer on laptops in the office anyway.

I am a hard core Mac person who uses PC's only when necessary. I am seriously rethinking my in-vehicle computer now.

:cheers: Hugh, you scored big time.

Ross

Hugh;

Ok, ok, I'm now very impressed. Does this gadget come with really good manuals? Where does one get one of these neat gadgets? Is the software proprietary? Of course, its not a mac system, but we can't have everything.

Love ur rig set up, nice work.

My junk looks like this:

http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/RigProj/index.html

k0dar

WTF? are you strapping wings on that thing and planning to fly it?

I just got to play with a colleague's Toughbook last week. He uses it for mult-month field work in Tibet with no problems with HD crashes due to altitude, dust infiltration, etc. There is the problem with the screen scrathing though. The keyboard is not something I would like to do a bunch of typing on, but that is why there are USB keyboards, which I prefer on laptops in the office anyway.

I am a hard core Mac person who uses PC's only when necessary. I am seriously rethinking my in-vehicle computer now.

:cheers: Hugh, you scored big time.

Ross

Ross, I think we have all we need now - a Mac Toughbook! These really are great for the truck, mobile use, etc and, for the used market price, are really an option. Use the big $$$ to get a Mac

Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom