1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Battery

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by mtycruiser, Mar 9, 2004.

1. mtycruiser

mtycruiser

My '98 UZJ100 still has the OEM Panasonic and it seems to be working OK (still )
    This afternoon, I checked on the window indicator on the top and it reads from the color code that it needs re-charge (red-add water; blue-OK; white- recharge) even though as I said before, it's working fine.
    Any ideas in how long can I expect it to last? or should I charge it, add water, etc., I tried searching and even thoug I did find some mentions on them and how good they are, I couldn't find anything on maintanance or how to make them last longer and or sudden death symptoms if any.

2. shocker

shocker

I've owned my '95 for 3.5 years, did absolutely no maintenance to the battery. I just replaced it a few weeks ago; it was still working but starting to get a little weak in the cold weather.

3. cruiserman

cruiserman

They last exactly 7 years.

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    the Panisonic out of mums 97 lives in my fj45.......so 7 years..........guess I better get it out put the Optima back in ;)

5. Junk

Junk

Replace it when it finally dies and not sooner. Get an odyssey to replace it, don't buy into the Optima crap.

6. cruiserman

cruiserman

Yer pimpin on borrowed time.

7. hpantier

hpantier

I don't think i have ever replaced a battery before it just up and died. Is there any other way? People actually replace them before they *expire*...hmmm

8. Riley

Riley

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=12822;start=msg118061#msg118061 date=1078871069]
    Replace it when it finally dies and not sooner.
    [/quote]

What if it dies on the trail and I'm the only truck out there? I go to lot's of remote places and having a battery on the edge scares the heck out of me.

I've still got my OEM battery in my 95 and it's scaring me. I know they are good but I'm not sure if I want to take this to the risky extreme.

Riley

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Riley,

IF that is the original battery you are indeed on borrowed time. 9 years is a waay long time.

10. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I dump my batterys every 3 years. Get stuck out in 5 deg weather once and you'll think twice about waiting for the end before replacing it. Of course if you do wait for the end it's most certainly will be the first sub zero day of that year and you'll have plenty of company while you wait 4 hours to be waited on ;)

11. Junk

Junk

Riley, if you go to that many remote places, then you're the missing link to not have dual batts dude. :D

Time to pry open the wally-wally :D

new gif for ya though
    [​IMG]

12. Riley

Riley

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12822;start=msg118148#msg118148 date=1078880321]
    Riley,

IF that is the original battery you are indeed on borrowed time. 9 years is a waay long time.
    [/quote]

My thoughts exactly. It's a Panasonic so I figured that it's the original. I keep meaning to go see my auto battery friend but can't seem to find the time on Saturday mornings. It looks like new and the "dot" is blue. Perhaps the PO replaced it with a Panasonic ???? I doubt it.

Junk - Dual batteries is on my list but it's a long list. I was hoping for a nice simple DIY from Slee but maybe I should do it myself.

Riley

13. Riley

Riley

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=12822;start=msg118238#msg118238 date=1078887857]

new gif for ya though
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

Let me work on that... if I can change the background to black or somehing then you might have something there. Thanks for the gif t ;)

14. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

I agree, mine died after 7 years...it was very sad....I still have it in my back yard. It started to 'give me signs' - it would lose charge but even a brief charge would get it back to life....then I just replaced it after this happened about 3x in three weeks.

Cheers, Hugh

15. Beowulf

Beowulf

Hugh,

>> it was very sad....I still have it in my back yard. <<

You are a very sick man. Very sick indeed. :D

-B-

16. shocker

shocker

My 9 year old Panasonic was "part vultured" by my father when I replaced it. Think he might try to use it in his sailboat for a while.

Guess I'll find out how much longer it lasts when I'm trying to drive 'er into the slip* one night this summer with no forward floodlighting.

*Sailboating term. Get yer filthy minds outta the gutter. :flipoff2:

17. uzj100

uzj100

I replaced my panasonic before it died. Get one of these Odyssey P1700MJT and you should be good for about 7 to 10 years.

Here is a picture of it installed in my 100 series, http://www.pbase.com/image/25417084

It does require a block of wood underneath because it is shorter than the panasonic.

Other than the block of wood it fits perfectly without any modifications (a little jab to the 80 guys). :D

You can purchase at www.thebatterybarn.com

uzj100

18. 410225

I have a 97 and replaced the Panasonic last year with Toyota Everstart. Good so far and dealer told me it is a replacement OEM these days.

19. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12822;start=msg118580#msg118580 date=1078942665]

Hugh,

>> it was very sad....I still have it in my back yard. <<

You are a very sick man. Very sick indeed. :D

-B-
    [/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I haven't got it burried in the back or anythng ;) I just need to take it to Canadian Tire so they give me a $10 rebate.

20. Riley

Riley

So given I don't have all the history of my truck and I've got a "new" looking Panasonic battery.

Could the PO have purchased a Panasonic in the US of A from a store/shop? Does or did anybody sell them?

I'm getting ready to replace it this weekend. I was thinking I should have it tested and if it looks OK then keep it in the shop for my second battery when I get around to it.

Riley