PANAMA TUB: First review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven't seen anyone else with a review of loumass' tubs from Panama (Paul Pilgrim).

Very thorough in communicating with me to make sure it had all the right holes etc. etc.

Had some trouble with delivery (not Paul's fault, DHL's). Too big for a lift gate, but you can use a lift gate if you have two people to help unload it (just to balance it so it won't tip off the edge of the gate). Delivery was delayed because they said a lift gate wouldn't work. I arranged to borrow a forklift, but the guy with the fork wasn't around when it arrived so me and another guy were able to unload it. One, or preferably two people can slide it around. EXCELLENT crate with some handy ropes attached to make it easier to move. Be aware when arranging delivery or picking it up, if you don't have a loading dock or forklift they may give you a hard time.

Only potential "problem" is that I don't have the reinforcing panels for the roll bar mounts. (see: http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/wheelwelsupc.html). When Paul was talking to me about the tub, I gave him the measurements for the roll bar mounts, but he said that apparently there is some variations and he didn't want to pre-drill the holes and have it not line up. I'm not sure if the channels like CCOT has (see above link) are on the stock tubs. they are on my old tub, but that had some work done to it by the PO (over 15 yrs ago).

One thing I was very happy to see is that all of the threaded "nuts" etc. are in place and welded in. The ones that need to move (door mounts etc.) are trapped in a metal bracket, just like stock. Looks like there will be NO half-arsed reaching around to use regular nuts where the stock body had the nuts permamently mounted.

Construction seems very stout. The metal is galvanized. Very nice attention to detail. The top channel (where the hard top mounts) is well done, seems like a perfect match to the orginal.

He made me running boards in STAINLESS :bounce2: :beer: . They look real nice also. The front underside corner could be smoothed out a tiny bit more, but overall they are sweet.

I also hade him make me a pair of 1/2 doors. I have ambulance doors, but since I'm in Florida, I will be using a soft top 99.9% of the time and I hate having to use the solid panels that don't open.

I haven't tried to fit anything yet, and unfortunately I am several months away from actually installing the body. So you will all have to wait a pretty long time before *I'd* be able to discuss the fit of components.

I have to upgrade to the silver membership so I can post all my pics, but here are some.

If anyone has specific questions or wants specific photos, let me know (don't post too much until a little later on tonight, I don't have my wallet with me to upgrade my ih8mud account).

PROBLEMS:
The fender support channels aren't there.
I need to think about how to get paint in all the inside portions (it is all galvanized, but the welds could potentially rust). Also, painting around the threaded inserts that are "captured" so they can move may freeze them in place. Not a problem specific to this tub, but with any tub (the galvanized steel should minimize any risk of rust).
Big crate made delivery hard for me since I am usually not around during the day (if you will be home with 1-2 helpers it should be no problem)

GOOD PARTS:
Seems like a really, really well built unit. Very good reproduction of stock right down to all the threaded inserts being in place.
Galvanized steel :D
Very happy with it. I think it is worth the money and the wait.
Sm Crate.JPG
sm door and tire carrier mounts.JPG
Sm door striker mount.JPG

More.

I will re-post these pics on high resolution once I upgrade my ih8mud account.
sm running board.JPG

Last edited:
Sounds really cool. How long was the wait?

I would like to see this tub - maybe next time I'm up to St. Augustine. Looks nice - sure beats all the bodywork I did to save my tub, and it was in pretty decent shape when I first got it.

More pics.

I have to also say Paul does an awesome job . I got a tailgate for my 45 from him a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. It fit perfect, I am looking to him for a hardtop for my 45 also. Great man to deal with.

ranger said:
Why does the name Pilgrim ring a bell?

Different guy. I think there was some shady dude with the last name Pilgrim, but this isn't him. I know it was brought up in one of the threads about the tubs. He lives in Panama, and I think he is from the UK or somewhere originally (he had an English-type accent when I spoke to him on the phone).

ajfriz said:
Sounds really cool. How long was the wait?

Sent deposit Nov 8, it was pretty much done and ready to ship mid to end of Jan , but there were some shipping problems on both ends: DHL delayed the pick up in Panama by about a week, and I think the tub was in the US for at least 3 weeks before they actually got it to me (customs and then delivery delays). Also, there was a little delay in my determining where I wanted it shipped. Original plan was for me to pick up in Miami, but we wound up getting it shipped to my door. Took a few days to get the various shipping quotes etc, but that's my fault for changing the shipping arrangement sort of at the last minute.

Sputnik40 said:
I would like to see this tub - maybe next time I'm up to St. Augustine. .

Anyone who wants to come and look at them in person, let me know and we'll work out a time to meet. I'm in Jacksonville Beach, FLorida.

Keep the questions coming. I'll post the pics of the 1/2 doors later....and I think I may be mis-using the term "1/2 door". These are for the rear. Like on the older tops that had a lift window and two small doors (kinda like 1/2 Ambulance doors).

Last edited:
I guess that I would not list the fact that the tub was securely and safely packed in a crate that was too big for you to handle alone as being a problem with the tub, and that the issues you had with this shipper is something that is specific to your situation.

Further, if you were not using a stock roll bar, I would not expect or even think that it is going to be easy to try and locate fender reinforcement and mounting holes for your custom roll bar. This again does not seem like a problem with the product.

You have a very nice tub. I hope that the rest of your build is less stressful than these apparent problems.

Good luck!

-Steve

Soul_Man said:
Keep the questions coming. I'll post the pics of the 1/2 doors later....and I think I may be mis-using the term "1/2 door". These are for the rear. Like on the older tops that had a lift window and two small doors (kinda like 1/2 Ambulance doors).

I would like to see these as well! The OEM soft tops for the late model 40’s out side of the US had half amby doors like you are describing. Not too many of those state side, only imports. Our friends in Pakistan has these as well!

Mark

Poser said:
I guess that I would not list the fact that the tub was securely and safely packed in a crate that was too big for you to handle alone as being a problem with the tub, and that the issues you had with this shipper is something that is specific to your situation.

Further, if you were not using a stock roll bar, I would not expect or even think that it is going to be easy to try and locate fender reinforcement and mounting holes for your custom roll bar. This again does not seem like a problem with the product.

You have a very nice tub. I hope that the rest of your build is less stressful than these apparent problems.

Good luck!

-Steve

Steve, I think you misunderstood me. I was only mentioning the crate size and shipping stuff so that anyone else who wants to get one will know what to expect (and I now know I could have told the shipper to bring it out with the liftgate even though it doesn't "fit" on the gate).

From my original post on the shipping "(not Paul's fault, DHL's)", and "EXCELLENT crate with some handy ropes attached to make it easier to move."

My roll bar is stock, but Paul was still concerned that he's seen variations in the bars and didn't want to put the holes in the wrong place, which is cool with me (he communicated that to me and I made the decision to not put the holes in). I do wish the support braces had been put in, I'm sure they could be put in close enough (put in whatever the stock position was, assuming they were a part of the stock body).

It sounds from the "I hope the rest of you build is less stressfull...." part that I'm complaining about this stuff. I'm ecstatic with my tub and the whole experience. My main reason for posting all this is that up until now the "Panama Tubs" have been sort of a black hole, no one has posted any pictures or experience with them other than Paul's pictures, so nobody (including myself until recently) had absolutely no idea what to expect with the product, shipping, etc. :cheers:

I am thankful that you have posted up pictures of this and put down information about your experience in purchasing and shipping one of these tubs to the USA, as I agree, there has not been anyone to date that has purchased a tub, and had it shipped to the USA. I have been contemplating purchasing a few of these, along with a lot of his other products. I do not think that you are whining about anything and I am not going after you. All I am saying is that you have these labeled as problems, and I cannot see how they are a problem.

What people see is the reality, no matter how much you did or did not want something to come across as negative or positive. Had there been a communication problem getting to Paul, or a packaging problem that Paul had done, I could see that as being labeled a problem, but that is not the case. Many people see something in print and consider it the gospel, no matter what is in front of their face, or the situation they are in, and common sense does not always rule the day.

:beer:

That's cool.
I certainly didn't mean for them to come across as problems with the product, but mearly problems one could run into (ie. for folks like me with no loading dock etc., I didn't think the actual drop off at my shop would be hard, so I wanted other people to know what to expect).
At any rate, as I said before I'm very happy and I'd recommend them highly.

Here's some more pics

Captured nuts for door striker plate, tub with ribs, Glamour shot :)
Captured nuts for striker plate.JPG
Body ribs.JPG
Glamour shot.JPG

Last edited:
more
Body mounts and channel for hard top
Body mount.JPG
Body Mounts.JPG
Channel for top.JPG

Last edited:
pics
Door sill, B pillar, body channel
Door sill contour.JPG
Door striker and B pillar.JPG
frame channel.JPG

Last edited:
additional pics (getting all I can out of my Silver membership :cool: )

Front edge, junction of bed/floorboard areas, rear channel.
Front edge.JPG
Front-rear junction.JPG
Rear Channel.JPG

Last edited:
This is about it...

half doors and running board (you can see the captured nuts in the door)
Rear door2.JPG
Running board.JPG
Rear door.JPG

Last edited:
One last thing, just to be complete in my reporting.
I noticed a crack at the back, center corner of the gas tank well. I did NOT notice this earlier. I had the tub sitting up to check it out and inspect the underneath part and I bumped it and knocked it down. I think the bottom of the gas tnak well hit the ground (I didn't think about that until I left the shop, my other thought was that it was from me lifting it up and down by the front sheetmetal rather than the side channels, since I was doing it by myself). When I get back to my shop I want to confirm that the tank well would have hit the ground first and caused this crack. At any rate it will only take a few seconds to run a bead along it... I DO think that I caused this as all of the welds and metal shaping is really extremely well done. (so be careful not to drop your tubs...)
Crack in gas tank well.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom