Pakistani top on an Aqualu tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed my brand new soft top this weekend and ran into a few snags. nothing insurmountable and certainly nothing to disuade me from either product....i think they are both top quality!
the aqualu tub doesn't have a hole for the rod to slide into...it has a box (so you can attach the door striker hardware). for some reason, when i slide the rod in the box :D the top frame is flush with the lip instead of being flush with the body with the pointy edge sliding down outside the lip. my modification was to cut the angle steel with a sawzall and bend it flat. the downside of this mod is that the roll of canvas that slides in the groove hits the lip and doesnt go down as far as it should causing a little bunching (i didnt realize this til i was done). my permanent mod is gonna be to slice the rod down the middle and weld in a gusset in order to move the frame out past the lip. the only other difference i can see is the rear body gusset...i had to drill a 1 inch hole for the frame to slide through...this takes the place of the upper clamp. the rest is a straightforward first time install of a soft top. i got the twist lock grommets and the footman loops at westmarine. i didnt use a special grommet tool...just careful use of a razor blade. it took a sunny day for the material to stetch a bit to fit right.
CIMG1301.jpg
CIMG1304.jpg
CIMG1305.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking cruiser and top. Nice job on the install.

I think within about an hour of work you could have those sides fitting normally. Use a dremel, die grinder or jig saw to cut out what I've shaded in red. Then get some 3/16" or 1/4" flat stock and bend or weld into an "L" shape to hold the pole in the right location. A couple bolts through the upright part of the 'L' to hold it in place and you are done. You could even run the L on the inside of the opening and drill and tap it so you don't need any nuts to secure it. The 'L' bracket I've shown in orange.
CIMG1301.jpg

i thought of that...u can see my magic marker where i was gonna grind...til i realized that it's solid aluminum all the way down.
so, unless someone comes up with something better, im gonna cut the tube in half and discard the outer half to move it outboard. then im gonna drill and tap a hole on the box to pin it in place with a bolt.
CIMG1303.jpg

If you want you could use a hole saw, with a tube notcher (to keep it true) clamped to the side and cut your little curve out. Then use a cutoff wheel to cut the tab keeping it connected at the bottom.

Matthew

if i did that i'd have to also cut into the side of the box towards the tailgate. otherwise, i might break through the wall by that little indent where the door goes.

Yeah, I didn't notice that is solid, that makes it a bitch. I agree with your plan, split the tube and pin it against the side with a bolt.

Could you post a pic of the bottom of the mount and a closer pic of the fabric on that mount? I have the aqula tub and I am in on the order that is going on now. I also have what looks like the same color paint on my 40. Thanks, Bill

Bill,
exactly what do u want me to take a pic of......the frame tube that slides down into the box, or something else?

vt fj40 owner,
i'll tell u when it rains. looks like it may leak a little where the seams are....but we'll see.

BTW. Anyone know the email of the person incharge of the Aquala tub manufacturing? I could not find the company website too. That would be helpful?
Ehsan

Ehsan,
the website is http://www.aqualu.com/
i spoke with the tech guy there, Bob McDonald, ( bmcdonald@aqualu.com ) and he agreed with my plan to shave the post and weld in a gusset. oddly, he said the factory hardtop should fit with no misalignment, but i dont have a factory hardtop, so i don't know...my hardtop has fiberglass sides and no posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom